Full Access Member
Reaction score
With my 7.3 idi when I pulled my horse trailer I hit my over drive off button
Assume same with psd

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
No stupid questions on this forum. More than likely you will never get flamed for asking a question. Most on here, me included, would rather answer a simple question now, instead of have to tell you how to fix something big later, because you were afraid to ask.....

Now, back to the question at hand.

With a 7.3PSD and the 4R100 auto, yes, I would do the O/D Off button just like the IDI. I would make sure you have a good cooler on it, and good fluid. The 4R100 and E4OD are VERY similar transmissions, the same thing that makes one unhappy, will do so with the other. One exception to this, is if you are on a dead flat run, and the transmission is not "hunting" (you know - 3,4,3,4,3,4,3,4,3,4 all the time) you can tow in O/D. Some on here will say with a good converter, good cooling you can use O/D as long as it doesn't hunt. That is the main reason Ford says O/D Off for towing, it is "safer" as the transmission will not hunt as bad, and all that shifting causes heat, which is the problem.

Now, if it is a newer PSD, 6.0 or newer with the Tow/Haul Button. Hit the button and let the transmission do its thing. They are much different that the previous transmission. I know on my 6.0, it will use all 5 gears when it is in Tow/Haul mode, but the shift strategy and a lot of other factors are adjusted by pushing that button. It is just not a simple O/D Off switch.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
What is the advantage to the 6.0 fan? More CFM? I know they are a "plastic" material. I have not heard mine really kick in, but the oregon69psd (I think that is his handle, he has the 2 tone brown/tan Victoria paint scheme Slantnose) has said when your are working a 6.0 hard and the fan locks up tight, you think is is going to suck the radiator, CAC, A/C Condenser and grill through the fan.........

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yes, that exactly.
7.3 is 7 blade, 6.0 is 9 blade.
Only side by side I could find.
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We made it there and back (about 2 hours each way with 2 horses on the trailer) it pulled like a dream! I am slowly becoming more comfortable with "Newt" (yes he has a name) and becoming more trusting . Thanks for the reassurance!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online