What's the best truck for WMO?

paramax55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Mercedes is finally dying (thank goodness). Cylinder #1 is practically dead (80 psi compression) so I'm going to run this car until it leaves me stranded and, in the mean time, I'm looking for a truck. This car was supposed to be a learning experience for when I get the truck and, boy, have I learned a lot. I just need to know which truck to buy now.

I've narrowed it down to either a Ford power stroke or a Dodge with a Cummins (unless I can find a Ford already converted to cummins ;Sweet) I don't like the idea of Ford's goofy International system of fuel injection. It seems like a lot to go wrong and it's probably a PITA to get to the injectors if you wanted to. However, they do seem to last a long time. I also like the idea of a P-Pumped Dodge - So simple and it would run forever. It would be nice, however, to adjust the timing via computer with that VP44 pump. I just don't like all of the horror stories about bad replacement pumps from the auto parts store. The power stroke should be programmable, too, for that matter.

What's the general consensis? Any other ideas?

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
Ford idi 7.3 with a turbo. Best for wmo in my opinion and best from what I've read. Most parts are easy to find and a lot cheaper than a power choker. I might just recommend to stay away from all that computerized junk, but I'm also a little biased.

Acidburns (not sure of his name on here) has the 4BT cummins in his Tahoe. I know he had issues for a while with wmo and his engine. It just seems like the IDI fords are the most tolerant. You really can't do much to the engine for performance, but they really just keep going.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 500,000 mile engine, an IDI 7.3. Turboed if you can find one. In my parts they run from 2500 to 5500 depending on condition. My non turbo IDI runs better on oil, but starts better in D2 by all means. I haven't seen one diesel ford without two tanks on it though.

paramax55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not scared of computers. In fact, I like them as long as they're not too invasive. That's the world I came from - gasoline and computers. They're so easy to work on as long as you can get in to them and change stuff. For instance, if you want to add some fuel at 1500 rpm and 50% throttle, you don't have to pull over, drain the fuel, change a jet, put it back together (smelling like fuel), test it to see what else changed... With a computer, you just put a different number in that cell while you're driving down the road. No mess, no unexpected reactions.

As far as the idi, can't you add a turbo and bigger injectors? What about the Cummins? Those guys seem to love theirs and they're getting as much power as they feel like dealing with.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
Well you asked what the best truck for WMO is and that seems to be the consensus...

Anyway, you can get better injectors, turbos, and IP's for the idi, but you are pretty limited without lots of modification/fabrication. You can also crank out 100's of hp more in a cummins. However, we are talking about WMO, which as much as some think it is, it is not diesel and has different burn requirements and characteristics. I would probably never put WMO near a built performance engine. They are way too specific to the characteristics of diesel to deal with the inaccuracies and differences in WMO.

paramax55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FNG, I was simply referring to some of your statements and looking for clarification. You stated that you really can't do much to the engine for performance. That could be an issue. The IDI had less than 200HP. Nowadays, you'd expect to have 300HP without much effort and without much stress. That's not difficult to do on a Cummins, so I'm looking for clarification as to why it's so much more difficult on an IDI. Even the Power Stroke guys are getting a fair deal of power.

I'm starting from almost a blank slate and this is going to be my daily driver for a long time, so I plan to ask all of the questions now.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IDI is the reason... it's not nearly as efficient or capable of multiple injection shots like more modern computerized rigs. Also, it was never built for the 30+ psi of boost that a newer powerstroke may put out. At best, on stock head bolts, 10 PSI is the "limit" for durability. Injection pressures are drastically higher on direct injection engines anyway.

I run straight W85/RUG15 in my IDI. It'll never get up and go like 1000 ft lbs of torque out of a modded powerstroke, but it'll get me where I need to go on oil.

IDI parts/trucks are dirt cheap anyway. Diesels aren't 'meant' for high HP... they're meant for buttloads of torque down low.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't recommend WMO in a high hp unit. You may be able to get away with running it in a 7.3 powerstroke. They make a chip for those with a W85 tune, but from what I've read, those guys are still having bad coking issues. Some are using water/**** injection to help. Look up a guy named F250Truckin on this forum or TDS in the alt. fuel section.

From what I can gather, this fuel is not necessarily compliant with newer vehicles. Some of the best engines to run this fuel in are the Ford IDI's. If you are looking for a highly modifiable vehicle to run alt. fuels in, you may want to look into another fuel.

There is another member named Koya on either this forum or TDS who has had luck running it in his 2012 cummins with aid of propane, HOD, and running it at a max 50% (iirc).

It may be better for you to tell us what you want out of your truck. I'm not trying to be negative here. I love the idi's and I think for your money, you could buy a nice one and put new ip, injectors, glow plugs, intake, etc and still be money ahead of a psd or cummins with a fat smile on your face...

paramax55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get it. It sounds like the IDIs are like the old Mercedes diesels. I would imagine the longevity comes from the fact that you are taking an engine that's capable of handling a lot of power but you're only using a fraction of that. I would imagine that 300 HP would look like a blow torch to the prechambers.

I want a truck to be my daily driver as well as occasionally pulling a 21 foot boat. I drive 30 miles each way to work and I was killing my BMW just from mileage - not to mention the cost of gas. I have a 1970 3/4 ton big block Ford that I don't drive because it gets 5.4 mpg - and that's after adding fuel injection. So I'd like to replace the capabilities of my big truck, while racking up a butt ton of highway miles, yet still being reliable, and giving me some "go" if I decide to step on the pedal, while burning cheap WMO at the cost of driving a Prius. Oh yeah, the wife will want it to be pretty.

My wish list is 4 door, manual transmission, 1 ton, 4x4 (for the boat). 4 door is not negotiable. Manual transmission would be negotiable if the truck were nearly free. The other two are negotiable.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just last week I put 25,000 behind my IDI Non turboed that is running poorly and has a poor burn in at least one cylinder. I pulled the load at 70 and 75 MPH in the flats with power to spare, but did lose speed on the hills. All in all for a truck I paid 2000 dollars for 2 years ago, I'm perfectly happy. A 21' boat would not even be noticeable behind a 1 ton IDI like mine.

I have had my 2WD dually all over the farm and never got it stuck. The only time it has ever been stuck was when I ran the front end into some soft ground (recent backhoe work that was still wet and soft) and it sank, and when I tried to cross a small ditch in a huge downpour while pulling a camper. This truck was my daily driver 50 miles round trip for over a year, and even when it was on D2 it didn't burn holes in my wallet. I could get close to 20MPG if I kept the rpm's low and cruised about 55 - 60 mph. Running 70-85 on the interstate dropped the mileage down to about 15-16MPG. One of the only complaints I have with the truck is it REALLY needs a 6th gear or an over drive. I missed a sale on one last year that was turboed with a new engine, 5 speed with an over drive, 4 doors and a really nice trim and lights addition for 3500.00. I had money in hand but it was gone when I called the guy to go look at it.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive heard it both ways... some have GREAT luck running wmo in a 12 valve cummins... others have no luck at all.

I run it in my 4bt from time to time when I know I'm not going to be having any short trips on the tank... I'm still working on my twin tank setup so still up in the air as far as how it performs for me. (and I can pull and de-coke the injectors in under an hour now... so its not too big of a deal)

Now... my friend's 7.3 idi drinks w80 year round... and you CAN mod an IDI... you just have to know what you are doing and be prepared for things to go sideways. They make high output pumps, injectors, etc... head studs, etc... from my understanding, with head studs and fresh head gaskets, 18+psi can be safely ran on the IDI...

Anyways... if you want an oil drinker... IDI it is. The SOME people have great luck with the cummins... some dont... but it seems noone has issues running the IDI on alternative fuels.

paramax55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand the desire for reliability, but the IDI sounds just like this 240D. It will go 85 mph (exactly 85) if you get a running start down an overpass and you carried enough speed into the run and there was nobody in front of you for the mile or so it takes to get up to top speed. But, for the most part, it doesn't let me cruise in anything but the right lane.

If I had a truck that wouldn't have enough power to do well over 100 mph (not that I plan to drive that fast, that's just how much passing power I'd like to have), I'd be dissatisfied. If you can't do a constant 80, with passing power to spare, you can start upsetting people around here for being a traffic obstruction.

I understand about things going sideways - I just had a cylinder die in the Mercedes... What about the power stroke? Don't those do OK on W85? I heard that 3* of timing an an occasional Italian tuneup keep the coking in check with those. BTW, I already have a dual fuel setup in the Mercedes that I can just swap over to the truck.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for power... I have 0 info on the powerstoke and wmo... so I would look at a P-Pump 12 valve..... no vp44 bs.. those pumps are VERY pricey and picky... the p-pump will flow tar... and like it. lol

Now... again some people have terrible luck with the cummins and waste oils... others have great luck. Be prepared for it to not go right.

paramax55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the ideal truck would be a p pumped 12 valve in my old Ford. But It would also be nice to live in NERF world.

The dodges are **** and I'm the type to p pump it, but if the price for a Power Stroke is 7K, the price for the same truck with a Cummins is 10.5K.

The IDI seems to be the best bargain right now. They're just going to be under powered for my tastes right now. The wife is also tired of me working on cars all the time so she'd never put up with me doing power upgrades.

I need a Ford that's already been converted to a p pumped 24 valve for $4,000.00. Let me know if you see Santa Claus anywhere.

paramax55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way... I know the Duramax is out of the question because of the optical sensor. Do any of the Dodges or other Fords have any trouble like that?