$4000 for an engine install?

Pascal

Reaction score
Hello,

My 1986 F250 Diesel broke down in Blaine Washington last month and I had it towed to Northland Diesel in Bellingham Washington (I live in Vancouver Canada). I was told by the mechanics there that I needed to replace the engine.

The old motor was a 6.9L IDI and I'm replacing it with a 7.3L IDIT (the turbo version) that I bought from a retired mechanic.
You must be registered for see images attach

The 7.3 was professionally rebuilt, it is fully assembled and is ready to be installed.

I received a quote from Northland Diesel at $3560 + Tax + Fluids+ Environmental fees (40 Hours of labor) to swap motors, for a total of around $4000. I was told that the firewall on my truck was to be modified because of the turbo and that the wiring was different between the 2 motors.
This price seems very high to me. My hands are tied at the moment because I'm far from Bellingham and I don't know anyone or any mechanics there. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions on this or know anyone in Bellingham that could install this engine for a decent price?

Many Thanks,

Pascal

Last edited:

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea there definitely taking you for a ride, just two weeks ago I got a quote from nw powerstroke(vancouver, wa), they quoted me 900 to 1300 at most for a engine swap(but I swapped it myself, and this is the same engine too.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
***....for four K I'll at the very least provide you a new UNOPEND jar of vaseline before I do the work for ya!!!!

Seriously get that truck away from there and back home somehow. Then I could maybe line something up!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My 1986 F250 Diesel broke down in Blaine Washington last month and I had it towed to Northland Diesel in Bellingham Washington (I live in Vancouver Canada). I was told by the mechanics there that I needed to replace the engine.

The old motor was a 6.9L IDI and I'm replacing it with a 7.3L IDIT (the turbo version) that I bought from a retired mechanic.
You must be registered for see images attach

The 7.3 was professionally rebuilt, it is fully assembled and is ready to be installed.

I received a quote from Northland Diesel at $3560 + Tax + Fluids+ Environmental fees (40 Hours of labor) to swap motors, for a total of around $4000. I was told that the firewall on my truck was to be modified because of the turbo and that the wiring was different between the 2 motors.
This price seems very high to me. My hands are tied at the moment because I'm far from Bellingham and I don't know anyone or any mechanics there. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions on this or know anyone in Bellingham that could install this engine for a decent price?

Many Thanks,

Pascal

That is a beautiful engine. I hope you get this worked out. $4k is stupid money. That's a day job if you know what you are doing and have everything ready.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Clearly this shop is trying to charge you every way they can. Its not a difficult job. I'm able to do mine alone in my driveway. One day installing my new rebuild I did it 5 times till I found why the torque converter was binding on the crank pilot bushing. I even left the hood on the truck but did remove the springs on the hood so it would open father. To keep the hood open I measured and cut a 2x4 to fit the battery box to the hood. So 40 hours is telling me they have no idea what they are doing. I'm betting the end cost will be much higher and the install wont be correct. On the positive note at least the shop knows the firewall needs modifying but that done with a hammer when the engine is out so its simple. When Banks installed my turbo many years ago they modified the firewall with the engine in the frame so it can be done that way too.

sassyrel

Reaction score
as a few have said,,somehow, get that truck home....they want to eat you alive.....get a uhaul truck and trailer rented.....

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They might be trying to recoup loss on profit on part (big money) plus prepare for refab time and time for rusted and broken bolts and exhaust

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're declining repairs they may nail you diag PLUS STORAGE, I know you are in a bind but you may get hit with a big bill when you try to tow it out of there :(

Pascal

Reaction score
Hi Danielle,
Thank you for your reply,
I'm in touch with C_Luft from this forum, he may be able to do the job for me at a reasonable price. I am also worried that Northland Diesel will be charging me a storage fee...

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wiring comment is an absolute joke. The wiring is NEARLY identical, to any competent electrician. The alternatour is the main difference, and the irony is that it actually requires LESS wiring with the 3G that's on the new engine. If that engine has its wiring harness on it, which it appears to, it should be plug and play, again, save the alternatour. Seriously, one could wire that sucker in with less than 20 minutes of labour if all wiring/terminals are ready. Never in my life would I pay that much for an engine swap like this. Maybe on a tranversely mounted engine, or a new computer-controlled rats nest, yes, but not a freaking IDI.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to read it over a few times just to be sure....I thought for a second $4000 was for the new engine AND to have it installed.

$4000 just to swap in an engine you already own??? EFF THAT!!! Get your rig out of their NOW!

If I was any closer, I'd offer to go down there and tow you back to canada myself!

I know most shops aren't this bad but this is one more reminder for why I NEVER take any of my vehicles in anymore:mad:

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$4k, plus the cost that you already have in the engine purchase!! it would have to be the most immaculate truck on the road to even consider spending that much on re-powering it...i'd sell the truck, sell the engine, and put that $4k with it and buy a newer truck myself..