solid axel swap

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
so i am looking to convert my 93 f250 to a solid front axel up front. i had done some reading and research but i would still like to know what axels would "easily" fit under my truck with little to know modifications need.

and also besides leaf springs front axel and sway bar link is there anything else i will need to pull from the donor? i dont have a truck yet i am still in the planning stages

also i already know i will probly need the drive shaft shortended. hep would be much appreciated

thanks,
Mark

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"6.9poweredscout" just recently swapped in a D60 into his 2WD F350 and I know he has a bunch of pics of his swap. Do a search for his threads and that should come up. While I have not personally done this swap, many on here have and if you are starting with a D50 4x4 to begin with, the swap is pretty straightforward. I am sure somebody who has done this swap will be along to chime in soon. My suggestion would be that if you are going to the trouble to install the D60, and you can afford it, install a RSK kit (PMF Mfg, Sky or ORU) along with '99 up Superduty front springs. Way better ride and handling!

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the build thread in my signature; should be some good info for you. When I did mine I completely replaced all steering components and bushings. Basically any "consumable" parts.

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
Thanks guys! i just bookmarked your page and will be using it in the near future!

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
so back again. the search for the ford Dana 60 is going slow.... Are there any others like off a dodge of a Chevy that would work with minimal fab?

i have a welder and some experience but don't wanna get to crazy

thanks ahead!

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
No. You need a D60 from an 86-97 F-350. It's a bolt in deal. Just swap all your steering parts to whatever came on your same year F-350. You will need the F-350 springs or the pumpkin will hit the crossmember when compressed with F-250 springs. You will also need the panhard bar and mount off the F-350. You cna make or get a custom length adjustable bar made and there are reproduction and aftermarket mounts available (Sky Manufacturing, Tuff Country). Very simple swap and these axles are out there but if you want a screaming deal you gotta have cash in hand and be ready to drive at least a few hundred miles at the drop of a hat. I got my last D60 for $300 and have $1k into it. It'll cost more to got through one these days as parts have gone up in the past few years.

Other axles from other trucks can work, but will cost more and lose resale value, nobody wants cobbled together stuff when there is bolt in factory parts available. Different scenario if you're doing something unique where off the shelf parts won't make it happen.

hotshotidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
biggest thing is make sure your gears match. you can put a 4 wheel drive tail housing on and drive shafts,rebuild you leaf springs while there out.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I have wondered how difficult it would be to swap in some leaf sprung 99+ super duty axles. It's still a D50 but at least it's solid and if you swap both axles you don't have mismatched lug patterns. I have seen sets of them on CL for less than $1k.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have wondered how difficult it would be to swap in some leaf sprung 99+ super duty axles. It's still a D50 but at least it's solid and if you swap both axles you don't have mismatched lug patterns. I have seen sets of them on CL for less than $1k.

Sky Mfg. makes a kit for exactly what you are talking about. It allows you to swap in the '99 up Superduty springs AND axles into your OBS!
http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=FORD-FSRSDAL-004

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Sky Mfg. makes a kit for exactly what you are talking about. It allows you to swap in the '99 up Superduty springs AND axles into your OBS!
http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=FORD-FSRSDAL-004

Interesting. What is the advantage of using the newer axles? Rear disc is about all that comes to mind. I see it's their front shackle reversal and whatever else but you can do that with standard axles. There are various off the shelf and home brew Sterling disc conversions, but I would always prefer a factory disc axle. Would not want metric lug pattern though, as on principle as cheap wheel availability. Newer D60s are ball joint, a big minus in my book... Is there some redeeming quality about them?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Can't remember when it started, but super duties went to unit bearings, something I would not want.
I would say the metric pattern has better wheel support. More options.
Not a thing wrong with ball joint axles. Those started in late 80's or early 90's.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
yeah thanks guys! in the meantime i decide to do my right axel that needs replaced:dunno

well i got it out but cant find it at any store.. is this a dealer part only?

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. What is the advantage of using the newer axles? Rear disc is about all that comes to mind.

Bigger brakes, bigger steering, bigger tubes, bigger rear gears and I think bigger knuckle u-joints. Look at super duty steering components, they make the stuff under yours look like they should be on a lawn mower. The metric wheel pattern isnt more expensive, unless your just looking for white steel wagon wheels I guess. Also a REAL rear disc brake axle that has a working parking brake, not some cobbled together pos.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Interesting. What is the advantage of using the newer axles? Rear disc is about all that comes to mind. I see it's their front shackle reversal and whatever else but you can do that with standard axles. There are various off the shelf and home brew Sterling disc conversions, but I would always prefer a factory disc axle. Would not want metric lug pattern though, as on principle as cheap wheel availability. Newer D60s are ball joint, a big minus in my book... Is there some redeeming quality about them?

Out here it seems the newer super duty axles are easier and cheaper to get your hands on. I have seen several pairs go for the same or less than just a front D60.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Staff online