6.9 keeps shutting down

mbarry98

Reaction score
Hi guys my 6.9 keeps shutting down while i go down the road i have tried everything i know! I know its not electrical this truck has a new injection pump, injectors, return lines, fuel filter, alternator it seems like possibly a fuel issue after the truck slows down to a stop i go to restart it and it takes a while to start back up and sometimes it needs a jump to get going it doesn't happen a lot this has been the 4th or 5th time i need the truck for work and school im open to anything i just need some help!!

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this fuel not getting to the injection pump, or fuel not getting form the pump to the injectors? To determine this, the next time it quits on you, pop the hood and look for the schraeder valve on the secondary filter head. That's the filter mount that bolts to the passenger-side cylinder head at the front of the engine. Sticking out towards the engine will be a tire tube valve. Crank the engine and press on the center of the valve. You should get a steady stream of fuel shooting out of the valve. If there's no stream, or if it sputters (intermittent), or if there's air in the stream, then you have a fuel supply supply problem. Since you mention that "it takes a while to start back up", then you've got some time to troubleshoot the situation. Be prepared for this - have a jump start setup available, a small pick to press the center of the valve, and some towels to clean up the fuel. Let us know what you find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online