7.3 motor swap

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i have an opportunity to buy a 99 f350 7.3 6spd 4x4. The body and frame on the truck are pretty rotted, but the drive train is in awesome condition. I am not really a fan of the newer trucks, body styling wise. What would be involved with swapping to a 92-97 truck? Ideally i would swap to a 95 (obd1) or older truck. thanks for the help in advance.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gutting out very piece of electrical without cutting wires. the biggst job i see on my 1963 with a 7.3 is mounting the ECU, and like style things.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Your BEST bet would be to find an OBS PSD truck with a bad engine or something like that, and use the drivetrain in the OBS truck. The full wiring swap would be a huge pain in the ass, because none of the wiring harnesses match up between the two body styles. Also, the OBS PSD engine is technically a stronger engine than the SD one because of the internal construction and head design with fuel flow. If you could get an OBS PSD and use all the SD parts on it (turbo, e-fuel, IDM, transmission etc) that would make the most sense.

Option 2 would be to find a T444e standalone harness and computer from a bus or 2-ton (or bigger) fleet vehicle. Then, you can put the PSD into any truck you want and only have to worry about a few wires to hook up.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The t444e has an ecm and the idm built together. The later 444's have the ecu mounted on the valve cover and the whole wiring harness is contained on the engine itself, aside from the throttle position sensor, key on wakeup power, a power lead for the glow plug relay, diagnostic hook up and maybe a constant power wire to the ecm (not sure if it has constant power or not). The programming for the international engines is different from the ford programming and a normal psd chip wont work on them, but there are companies that make three position chips for the international programming. Also remember that the only way to run any electrical diagnostics is going to be to take it to a navistar dealer. I've just started doing some research on the whole thing cause the t444 is whats going to replace my idi, and thats what ive come up with so far.