Please tell me it's not the injection pump....

Mtorg

Reaction score
Well, the ol' ford laid down on me (again). I was headed out camping and i stopped to get a fuel mixer for my chainsaw. I'm pretty sure the truck was running normal. I got in and took off and noticed that the throttle was a little stiffer than usual and thought that maybe it had come loose on the pump, because it has popped off the pump before. I was headed for my sawmill at the moment to get my shovel and decided I'd look it over there. When I went to get out of the truck i floored the throtle because this has also helped it loosen up before. The truck revved up to 2500-3000 (? tach dosen't work), then i THINK i heard a click and it just died. I wondered what the heck and got back in and pushed the throttle, which felt normal. Sick to my stomach I tried to start it..... and it just turned over. Annoyed, I pulled out a can of starting fluid and shot a little in the intake. It didnt fire, it just revved faster like it was trying.Thankfully I was off the highway at my mill so i called a buddy to come help me. We hooked it up to my loader, put it in gear and pulled it around the yard to see if it would pop. Again, nothing. I noticed that it wasnt smoking like it should either. We hooked it up to his pickup and dragged it 2 miles down the road back to my shop, where i pulled the fuel filter. The filter was full. So while i had it off i cranked the engine over to see if the lift pump was garbage. It puked a bunch of fuel out like it should. So then i put that back on and pulled an injector line and cranked it over. As I feared, nothing. I've pulled the wire for the fuel solenoid cut off on the pump and i can hear it click, but I don't know if that means its working or not. Now I'm out of ideas on what to do...

I might have imagined it now that im trying to remember, but when it was running it kinda sounded like the timing advance was on. But i might have imagined that... :dunno:
Another thing that grinds my gears is this pump was just rebuilt last summer and might have 10,000 miles on it.

Any thoughts or help here would be nice before i pull my hair out and scrap the truck :) , haha!
Thanks!

gandalf

Reaction score
Just a very quick answer, as we're on our way out the door.

That click and die sounds like it could be the FSS in the IP. If that FSS does not get power, then there is no way the truck will run. You shut the truck down by taking power away from the FSS.

Pull the wire from the FSS and listen for a click. Have the ignition on, of course. If you hear a click, then the FSS is working. Wiggle that wire around a bit. If you have no click, run a temp wire directly from the positive battery post to the FSS, then crank the engine. At that point, the only way to shut the engine off is to pull that temp wire.

The FSS is the forward most spade connector on the top of the IP.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Perhaps the throttle getting stiff was something internal in the pump resisting the twist, and the snap was whatever was in the pump breaking from the force.

If FSS clicks and still no fuel, I would crank for a minute or two with a jumper wire, knowing that the fuel filter is full of fuel. If still no fuel, I would imagine its a pump problem.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything you said points to the IP, even if the throttle arm broke loose from the throttle shaft, it should start and idle. Referring to this below. To hear a click over the roar of the engine, it ust have been loud. Are the nuts tight holding the IP from turning? If there loose and the IP turned, it could have broke the drive shaft when you stomped on it.
When I went to get out of the truck i floored the throtle because this has also helped it loosen up before. The truck revved up to 2500-3000 (? tach dosen't work), then i THINK i heard a click and it just died. I wondered what the heck and got back in and pushed the throttle, which felt normal.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you do that, remove the top cover and visually confirm the FSS is actually functioning. IF that won't void your warranty. if it is working, ground the top half of the cover with a jumper and reassemble with the FSS engaged, as it will help to align the shutdown/governor linkage and help to prevent a reassembly runaway caused by misalignment when replacing the top cover. After the second FSS died on my truck I yanked it out and blocked the mounting holes off with small bolts and use the clutch to kill it. plus side is I can roll start the truck even if it has no batteries on it now.

Mtorg

Reaction score
I warrantied it and they said it was bad. So I got a new one for free!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow that was a lucky deal. Where did you get the pump. Sounds like that shop is a keeper. BTW you did not tell us that the pump was new enough to still be under warranty. That sure could have helped others to determine a failure cause.. This forum never complains about a person giving too much info. Glad you have the problem fixed.

Mtorg

Reaction score
I didn't think to mention how new it was, looking back I should have though! I was just inside the one year warranty they offered so it was a good time for it to die! I think the shop was industrial injection in salt lake. I had a local shop send it off so I'm not positive.