Fuel Leak Question

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
All,

I have a fuel leak that I am trying to track down. This has just started, and it is on the 1.6L N/A Diesel. When I park and shut the car off. When I came back, I have a spot on the ground under the car. I am 99% certain it is fuel. I have checked the oil on several occasions and it has not changed. If I stop, and the car is running, I do not see a leak, only when the engine is not running. I can not find anywhere obvious that is leaking.... and here is the odd part, I am not having any starting issues. It starts on the 2nd or 3rd revolution and stays running. I do not notice any power issues, so I am pretty sure it is getting all the fuel it needs.

The bulk of the leak seems to be from the front side of the engine, where all the injectors and the pump is. Could it be a return, a pump something else..... kinda stumped, because I figured I would see where it is coming from.

Thanks,

Scott

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
It is fuel. It appears to be the top cover of the pump. Trav was over the other night, and we found the leak, so it drip at idle. Apparently this is fairly common on these pumps, and there are kits available to do a DIY repair. So that is my next course of action/investigation.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Even VE TDI's have a problem with the top covers leaking (our B4V isn't leaking, but its not dry either). I was going to suggest to look into that.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, I am pretty sure its the top cover. It has a nice small drip every couple of seconds at idle. I don't think its leaking at speed, because I don't smell it, and there is no tell-tale signs of oil splatter on the rear of the car. I've had oil leaks before that show up as little spots on the back of the vehicle. I am fairly certain its the top cover, as everything below the top cover is wet. I have not seen a big decrease in mileage, so thats another reason I think its not leaking at speed. I will see if I can find a "seal kit" and get the leak fixed. I know its and old diesel car, but the constant diesel smell, and the slick in the garage at home, and parking garage at work. Just glad its not gas, or I would be a bit more concerned about getting it stopped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.