winter blends...

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, everything is going well running on W85 up to this point. i did notice a little harder starting the last couple days, im assuming due to the cooler mornings which has got me thinking about winter blends. so what blends does everyone use? i was thinking about dropping back to a 75/25 blend with D1 in place of the RUG... at what ratio do you guys stop using RUG?

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to move to a 50/50 blend soon. Wifey's car is already running it, and everything else is on pure D2 til I get the entire system moved and rebuilt. Only reason hers isn't on pure D2 is because she doesn't burn it as fast as anything else.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a WMO 50%/ D2 47%/ RUG 3% mix year round. The truck has started on glow plugs and a block heater in -20*f. I think the diesel started to gell that morning because I had power surges about 10 miles from work and some diesel 911 cleaned that act up . The RUG is added to my barrel before I centrifuge the oil to thin it. Then I split the WMO/RUG mix 50/50 with D2 as I add it to the truck.

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
D2 i dont know why i keep calling it D1, that would be kerosene wouldnt it? LOL. okay, 50/50 sounds like a plan. im actually moving my operations from the shop at work to my shed for convinience (sp?) and ive let my oil supply get low for the move. ive enjoyed the savings of the 85/15, but no sense in being greedy, i dont want troubles.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drop to a 75/20/5 (roughly) in the winter. 75 oil, 20 gas and a splash of diesel of its still not thin enough. I've done as high as 30% gas before with no ill effects other than stinky exhaust.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Purge baby purge.
Because I'm overhauling my engine, I'll have to speak in past tense.
When I was running wmo during winter I would shut down and start up on regular diesel or blended fuel, all the time.
Sometimes when it was really cold, highs of teens and lows single digits or lower, I wouldn't even run wmo, too afraid of problems.
Before I started using wmo, did a lot of reading about people using WVO and cold temps. Read a lot of horror stories about complete fuel systems almost frozen with wvo.
Kinda why I wanted to run wmo, it'll get thick but not frozen.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't speak much for the cedes's, but I can say that little red is already having trouble pulling the gear oil through the fuel line. I'm assuming it's a fuel line restriction, possibly a smashed section, possibly a kink etc... Everything is on D2 right now because of unrelated issues. It'll be at least another week before I can get the processor moved and back up and running. Last winter I ran pure or almost pure WMO through ****** (my one ton ford), kept one tank D2, and the other my fuel. There were several days where I had trouble running it, not because it wouldn't burn it, but because it couldn't get it through the filter and lines fast enough to feed the draw. I have no heat exchangers or any type of added heat on the truck.

Little blue is already having starting issues, but that is due to preglow not functioning properly. Red will start and run on it now, but can't pull it fast enough to feed the draw. Were are seeing temps in the low sixties high fifties in the past week. My wife was running a 50/50 gear oil D2 mix til yesterday, it started perfectly, but even on that 50/50 mix she complained of having starving issues two days ago in the morning. Once the heat exchanger had some heat it went away.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't take long at all for the D2 tank to be a lot more WMO, and a lot less D2 when switching back and forth. About every two weeks I would run the D2 tank empty and refill. Due to broken drop tubes I cannot suck the last 1/4 tank out of either tank, that probably has a lot to do with why I have never blinded a filter on the truck...LOL

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly Josh... The overnite temps in TN have been quite a but lower lately... Im glad to see some good replys in this thread, im afraid it wont be long before the cool is gone and the cold sets in

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This summer i replaced the rear tank and both showerheads on my pickup tubes... Before that i had the same issue with the last 1/4 of the tank, i can suck them dry now.