Coolant question

abfiegen

Reaction score
It's my understanding that all coolants are compatible with each other with the exception of NAPA's. If this is true, and correct me if I'm wrong, what would you top your coolant off with if you didn't know what coolant is currently in use?

abfiegen

Reaction score
I figured that would be the answer I got. But I live in an apartment so I don't have a hose to use for flushing it. I'm taking it to somewhere I can flush it but I need a top off to get me there.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it ain't freezing, just use plain old water, nothing wrong with that.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am very careful with the coolant and its additives due to the cavitation scare (maybe it is overrated? still scary to meet such an untimely death). I only use the low silicate Texaco green stuff and fleetguard with distilled water. I would pay to have it flushed to know what is in there. Then it lasts you a very long time. I am skeptical that the new stuff is compatible with everything.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figured that would be the answer I got. But I live in an apartment so I don't have a hose to use for flushing it. I'm taking it to somewhere I can flush it but I need a top off to get me there.

When I said, plane old water to top it off, he's going to drain it anyhow, no need for distilled for a short trip. He has to make sure he has the right tools to remove the block plugs on each side, or it would take a lot of flushing to remove all the old coolant. Myself, I would just get four (4) gallons of Fleetgard with SCA in it and four (4) gallons of steam distilled water to recharge the coolant system, that will last for the next 100,000 miles. Replace the block plugs with petcocks.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep making the same mistake. It's Fleet CHARGE, not FleetGUARD. Fleetguard is a brand of filter.

And as usual, best deal is Advance Auto. $16/gallon, but code TRT30 is ALWAYS in effect, 30% off, takes it down to a shade north of $11/gallon. If you're in the midwest and near a Mills Fleet-Farm, it's on sale there for $12/gallon at the moment.

Edit - be VERY careful selecting Fleet Charge. They do make a 50/50 diluted version, and the label and bottle look ALMOST the same. Make sure you know what you're buying before you pull the trigger.

abfiegen

Reaction score
Thanks for the good info guys. Used to live in the midwest. Just recently moved away. Missing it already.

AdventureIDI

Reaction score
Exactly what everyone has said. I too used Fleetcharge full strength with SCA's in it and add distilled water. I have a couple bottles of Motorcraft SCA when I need to correct SCA levels.

To answer your original question however, you are generally supposed to top off with distilled water ONLY in a system with a low coolant level. That way the concentration remains the same.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont have the tools for the block plugl, and dont want to use well water to flush it, ill jsut spend the 10-15 bucks to get 20 gallons of distilled water and flush my block out with it.

i recall someone having a coupon for the fleetcharge stuff at autozone, can tfind it now darn it

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont have the tools for the block plugl, and dont want to use well water to flush it, ill jsut spend the 10-15 bucks to get 20 gallons of distilled water and flush my block out with it.

i recall someone having a coupon for the fleetcharge stuff at autozone, can tfind it now darn it

See madpogue's post

abfiegen

Reaction score
So something I have noticed. I have a single line on my coolant reservoir, and every coolant reservoir I've looked at has a fill and full line. So which is it?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So something I have noticed. I have a single line on my coolant reservoir, and every coolant reservoir I've looked at has a fill and full line. So which is it?

if i understand your question correctly,your trying to figure out which both lines mean on the overflow tank.
the first one,about half way up is the cold fill mark.so you flush the radiator and once you know the air is all purged you fill the overflow tank to the first line which is about half way up.
when you shut the truck off,the coolant will back flow into the overflow tank which will temporarily raise the level it in then it will go back down to the halfway point again.it's purpose is so you don't constantly loose coolant every time you shut the truck off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01