factory to hx

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
So i did a bunch in the search engine found some but not lots. Who has done a factory turbo or other turbo kits to an hx35w setup pics or info just thoughts goin through my head seeing as i have a factory turbo engine a xtra hx and lots of time and fab skills lol

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hairyboxnoogle had an hx35 setup, I will be putting an HX35w with 14cm exhaust on it on my truck. But it has custom uppipes and using a 6.0 intercooler. Wont be for at least 4 weeks tho.

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
Ill be doin mine over the next few weeks i think but with an ebay intercooler just be nice to know what to do for mounting in stock location or does it need to be moved foreward and what was done for downpipes

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you search around other forums, there are folks running HX 35s. There seems to be some debate as to the sizing and map being IDI appropriate especially in stock form. Maps are hard to find for the holset stuff it seems. It also seems that there are several flavors of HX35. I've not spent a ton of time looking though. I had a Garett turbo fall in my lap so I quit searching. Hope that helps.

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
Im running a hx35 in remote location now and responds well but had a factory turbo engine follow me home so im adapting a hx35w onto it and dropiin that in along with a zf5 in my truck

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CAN YOU POST A VID OF UR TRUCK WITH THE REMOTE MOUNT? LOVE LISTENING TO EM, HARD TO FIND HX ON IDI SOUND CLIPS.
sorry for caps, not yellin

Hardy41

Reaction score
I am in the process of installing a hx35 turbo on my truck. It is located in the stock position with some firewall and cowl adjustments. lol It has a custom up pipe and a 3 inch down pipe. I bought the set up from a member here. I did a engine swap and i figured I will put this turbo set-up on it.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have posted a few threads - one I can think of is titled 'HX35 info' or something similar. Should be able to find it off that.

My experience has been good with the unit I've got. Mine is off a 98 cummins IIRC. WG seems to be set about 19-20 lb which is where it was when I got it. Mine is the 8 blade. The newer versions use a 7 blade impeller and are supposed to be rated for more flow (60 vs 52 lb/sec) but there's some suspicion that the 8 blade is better on low end. I think either would work fine. Be careful if you're looking on ebay or such - lots of HX35 turbos off industrial cummins motors which may or may not have the specs you want and also alot of chinese clones.

Your biggest problem is likely going to be the compressor - it's probably close to twice the diameter of the stock turbo, so you're going to have clearance issues. I'm not sure it would fit on any of the common turbo setups because of that issue. The exhaust side shouldn't be too much of a problem - intake flange is the standard T3, outlet might take some work. Mine had what looked like a 3" v-band flange, but it's not. It's a touch smaller than 3" and shaped differently so a v-band doesn't fit. I wound up welding a pipe to the flange and just taking the 5 bolts that hold the back face of the turbine housing on to remove the whole pipe and flange assembly. But, my setup is a fully custom built up/down pipe and mount flange so it's easier for me to make it fit.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure. I do now that you mention it recall that there's a HY35 which is similar but has a smaller compressor (IIRC) and I think was used on automatics. There seems to be quite a bit of variety in what was used. I'd say that chances are good that any will work fine.

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
Ive got an hx35w on my truck now just rebuilt another today and im building a custom setup in factory location its goin to take a long time and lots of fab but will be good when all done ive also got an exhaust brake im installing with the new turbo and be doin a zf5 swap too once i find a good 4wd version i can bolt my tcase too

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online