Setup, So far free.

cviola2005

6.2/6.5 Detroit Nut
Reaction score
I have delved into WMO. I was able to score about 130 gallons (55 gal drums) of WMO and about 55 gallons (11 5 gal buckets) of farm diesel through a friend of a friend. All free. That's right, even the farm diesel was free. The farm diesel was drained from his tractor because it had some water in it. Well, Water is not hard to get rid of.

Anyways, since I scored that this weekend, I quickly came up with a way to start filtering it. I have a parts donor truck (93 C3500) from which I puled the lift pump, fuel filter manager, and lines before and between. I have this setup laid on top of a few buckets and it is pumping from one bucket to another, while filtering and hopefully removing some water also.

I do not have a spare 12v vehicle battery, but what I do have is a good not-being-used UPS (uninterruptible power supply). I removed the back cover and affixed connectors between the UPS and it's internal battery and connected it to the lift pump. The UPS should be able to keep that little battery (12V7AH) charged during and after pumping.

I am not making any special means of pressurizing it, the only pressure in this temporary setup is whatever pressure is behind the filter.

When I get time, I will be making a better pump for the oil using a 1/2HP (i think) floor fan motor and the hydroboost power steering pump, also from my donor truck.

So far, everything that I have in this (excluding electricity, and diesel cost for transport) has been free. So assuming that I don't have to buy any filters and only have to buy 20 gals of RUG, this should equate to 30.2 cents per gallon. Assuming that I'd have to buy 5 filters and 20 gals RUG would make it 79 cents per gallon. That sounds nice!

Edited: Forgot to mention that it pumps at a rate of 7.5 gallons per hour, or 1 quart every 2 minutes.

Last edited:

cviola2005

6.2/6.5 Detroit Nut
Reaction score
Yeah, I am a little skeptical about using it. I'm gonna mix it with WMO in a small batch (like 3 gallons) to check color first. I might just give the farm fuel to my neighbor for his tractor after I filter it.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesnt take a lot of wmo to darken regular diesel.
Make a deal with your neighbor, give em the fuel for wmo.
Sounds like your hooked and on the way, for using wmo that is.
Nice score, btw.

cviola2005

6.2/6.5 Detroit Nut
Reaction score
Funny that you mention that 2nd sentence Brad. This neighbor has approximately 30 gallons of WMO that he said I can have. And since he refurbishes small diesel engines, he will have more and will need diesel to test run his engines.

Yes I am hooked, I'm reading everything I can find. I really need to start investing money in my setup, but it's kind of a personal challenge to invest as little as possible. This also helps the wifey to understand why I keep EVERYTHING. lol

Thanks, my new source for oil mentioned that he will let me know when he has two or three more barrels full. And of course my neighbor also has a supply for me. As long as I don't burn more than I get, I should be ok.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way to detect farm fuel is by the red UV dye, and the sulfur content., once it's mixed with any amount of WMO the dye becomes invisible except under uv and it only take about a 15 to 20 percent mix to get rid of that. Same goes for the sulfur content as well. As far as legality goes, those who run this fuel who don't pay the road tariffs and fees are breaking the law in the exact same way. In other words it no more or less illegal to mix the FF in as it is any other fuel that didn't come out of a taxed receptacle.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Now Farm fuel is the exact same sulphur level as taxed diesel.
And correct, it's the dye.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
That is correct on the sulfur levels, it is ALL USLD the 50ppm stuff. It is the dye. But the dye is not just a color changer, it is a very specific chemical composition, that can be detected even if the color has been changed due to other additives. It is mixed in at a lever, that it is still traceable after 15-20 fill-ups after a load of dyed fuel has been in the tank. So if Off-Road diesel is used, it will take MONTHS for all traces of it to be gone, and it doesn't matter what all you have added it is still there.

I also read somewhere that MMO (Marvels Mystery Oil) has changed their color, for decades it was a red liquid, not the same dye as Off-Road Diesel, but still gave fuel a red tint that worried consumers, so they changed their color.

Use Off-Road Diesel (Farm Diesel) at your own risk. It is TAX EVASION, and that is how it is charged and prosecuted. In Indiana, it is a $10,000 fine PER OFFENSE. I personally know someone who a farmhand fill all the vehicles with fuel, unfortunately he used the Off-Road tanks in everything he filled, including the on-road vehicles and a couple of semi tractors. One of the semi's was dipped on the road and pinged positive for Off-Road fuel. They went back to the farm and dipped everything. If it had a plate on it, and had Off-Road fuel in it, he got fined for each vehicle. He ultimately went bankrupt and lost everything. They don't play when it comes to taxes......

cviola2005

6.2/6.5 Detroit Nut
Reaction score
I prolly wont use it. My neighbor can use it to test his tractor engines and to run his own tractor. Plus he gives me his used motor oil. Also, another free score today. Two filter heads, with filters. One is a single filter with hoses and the other is a double filter setup ready for hoses. I can use the part numbers of the filters on them to find crossover numbers.

cviola2005

6.2/6.5 Detroit Nut
Reaction score
I found out some info on those filters. The double setup has a 30 and 25 micron oil filter, good for first round of filtering. The single is a 10 micron fuel filter, good for last filtering/mixing before going into RTU tank. Awesome!!

The timing works out perfectly because I started using a 10 mic fuel filter for everything and it plugged up only an hour or so before I got the new filter units.

cviola2005

6.2/6.5 Detroit Nut
Reaction score
Another thing, I did a little experiment. I mixed about 2 gallons of farm fuel with 1 gallon of WMO. I'm talking about friggin BLACK, From a diesel tractor with 2,948 hrs on this oil. The resulting liquid came out looking like a lite tan/beige coffee without a single hint of red dye. I'm gonna call it dirty diesel. I'm not saying that I'm gonna run it in my truck, but I like it.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd run ag fuel as a thinner but not straight... mix it light with your waste oils so its not detectable and atleast you dont waste it.

Looks like you are on the way.

Hey snicklas... looks like you have done your research on fuel laws in IN... so alternative fuels can get you slammed with the same fines as running AG fuel? I thought there were some loop holes for those only making small quantities, etc.. etc...

The likelyhood of my truck getting stopped by DOT is slim to none anyways... and I dont run any alternative fuel in my main fuel tank... my 2nd tank isnt easily spotted and its fill is hidden... benefits of driving a swapped truck that never came with a diesel. lol

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A whole bunch of folks running alternative fuels don't want to admit it, but what we are doing, and doing it without use and tax permits are breaking the exact same law as putting FF in the tank. While they will obviously go after someone who is using FF much harder than they will someone refining their own fuel from waste, it COULD be applied to the law in the same way. Does that mean i condone it's use? No. But if I had some laying around that couldn't be put to use in one of my tractors, then I wouldn't hesitate to blend it in with the rest of my fuel. I believe the tax man and others will tend to turn the other way if they find that we are making our own fuel for multiple reasons.

On the same note, due to lots of unexpected DRAMA over the weekend, I am running road fuel in everything right now, and have been all week. 25 to 30 bucks a day in fuel when I haven't bought a drop in weeks HURTS, I mean it stinks...... Hopefully while I'm off, I can move things around and clean things up and go back to running my fuel.

Also have to find out why wifeys cars won't suck pure gear oil through the fuels lines when my car will. I have narrowed it down to a fuel line restriction, but don't know where or why.

cviola2005

6.2/6.5 Detroit Nut
Reaction score
I do plan to use some of the FF, but not much of it. Of what I have mixed up, I put just enough FF to turn the black oil to a dark dark brown color, probably about a 25% FF mixture.

cviola2005

6.2/6.5 Detroit Nut
Reaction score
So far I've mixed up about 27 gallons. First 18 or so wasn't carefully measured, but everything worked good. A little delayed cold startup, but nothing bad. The last 9 gallons I've mixed was carefully measured to 85/15 and then mixed 2/3 with FF. Works perfect, easy starting, lots of power over D2 with 2 stroke oil. Love it!

I will have to buy a filter or two soon. And might have to put some money into making a nice pump.