Which cummins? 12v or 24v

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am just starting to think about a cummins swap into my 92. I know nothing about cummins engines. If this were yours, what year cummins would you be looking for and why? I know I will not go with the newer common rail. I want to stay mechanical.

Thanks

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love my idi, but pulling my camper that weighs 8000 pounds just seems to be a little too much for it. I can't seem to keep coolant temps low. Just not sure if it will ever be able to pull a fifth wheel like I would like. Not giving up yet, but it's on my radar.

oztinker47

Reaction score
Id recommend test driving a cummins powered truck before deciding on a swap, you might appreciate your IDI, especially on the steep downhill grades, the cummins has a way of stepping aside and letting the load go by

Sent from my LG-VS410PP using Tapatalk 2

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but stock for stock a 7.3 IDI will runaway from a 5.9 12v... Cummins owners will deny this to the grave but in identically setup stock trucks the 7.3 hauls a trailer around much better. Just fix the overheat issue and keep what you got.

Yeah, yeah they lug great, right about 35-40 mph. On occasion you may wish to go faster than this up hills ;Really Turned up is a different story entirely but if you go to the trouble of swapping why not do something unique like a DT360?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, a little lost on what to do with the cooling situation. Everything new from water pump to radiator and it still runs 235 going down the interstate. It will pull it at speed all day, but not in 90 degree heat.

On another note, who said anything about leaving a cummins stock...:sly

I will put a cam in mine before I give up on it. That's just about the last thing I can do without major work.

oztinker47

Reaction score
The timing on my 7.3 idi is set at 7° BTDC, stock fuel settings, it'll run all day long in 100° heat up and down mountain grades all day long towing equipment without overheating. The fan spins up at times but doesn't stay engaged for very long on the really steep grades.

Sent from my LG-VS410PP using Tapatalk 2

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Far as cummins, I would go 24v. 12 valve isn't anything near what people make it out to be. Most of the ecu harness is on the engine anyways.
But I'd take a slow old detroit over both of those.
And if you're just wanting more power, why not a Powerstroke? They're not as problematic as people say. Least mine hasn't been.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the OBS strokes are great. I just really like the truck I have and think swapping to a stroke wouldn't be really easy wiring wise. Would seem smarter just to get a different truck with one already in it. I mainly don't want to sink a bunch of money into something and be disappointed with its output. That's why I am asking people who know before making a decision.

I appreciate all you guys' opinions on this. I have a lot of respect for this forum and it's members. Thanks.

So, the 24 v cummins are all computer controlled? Do they have an injector pump like the older 12 v's just computer controlled? I have got to so some research here.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I could be wrong here, but I believe there were some of both.
The psd wiring doesn't have to be that involved, but I get what you're saying. Lol

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the OBS strokes are great. I just really like the truck I have and think swapping to a stroke wouldn't be really easy wiring wise. Would seem smarter just to get a different truck with one already in it.

Yeah simpler to buy a truck with one in it but... If you pull a T444E out of a school bus the computer is engine mounted IIRC, wiring from there isn't bad at all.

big jake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as the owner and driver of a 97 F250 former 460 gasser truck converted to a 96 P-pumped 12 valve rated at 235 HP from the factory, I can say that I have never looked back on my old 86 with the 6.9. My 96 Cummins is hooked to an NV5600 6 speed manual and the diffs are 3.55s. Its not often, but I have seen as high as 26 mpg. You can play with the cam fuel plate to get some free horsepower. I have never experienced a down hill runaway, but an aftermarket engine brake would always take care of that problem.

If power is a problem, I have seen these trucks with well over 600 HP be strretable and be able to tow

The main thing here is you remain all mechanical. Power is unlimited in these 12 valves, I have seen them make well over 1500 HP, so for you to make enough to pull a trailer should be no problem.

Good luck which ever you way you choose

Just sayin as I have been driving my Fummins for at least the past 8 years

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Electric fans. Which are not up to the task. When the stock fan was on the truck, I couldn't hold speed on the interstate. Going to put a new clutch and stock fan back on, just to make sure I am covering my bases.

Thanks for the info on your conversion Big Jake. This is what I was looking for. I would be interested in what year engine and trans you have.