Superstart (oreilly's) battery cable review

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last week, my batteries died off. Not upset, they were walmart batteries that were in it when I bought it. 4 years old according to the date. Used an advanced auto coupon to buy 2 new batteries for 100 bucks a piece. That left some money in the wallet to go ahead and fix the battery cables too. I know a lot of you guys are in the same boat with battery cables.

Mine had been "fixed" by the PO (read:jacked up) had all sorts of corrosion and worn out bolts too.

Went and looked at the oreilly auto cable they stock. It looked good, so I thought I would try it.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...k=Search_03318_5006998_733&pt=03318&ppt=C0005

You must be registered for see images attach

The wire was the proper gauge and length(actually longer than my modified on) and had nice ends on it.

Starter end. Doesn't have the tab to orient the cable properly, but wasn't a problem for me.

2 differences that weren't too bad to overcome. This did not have the solenoid wire to the starter integrated. I stripped the wire off the factory cable and routed it safely on its own.

There is also a bracket on the factory wire that locates it to the lower front of the engine block. I sliced the rubber part of the bracket and was able to move it over to the new wire, which worked well for me.

I would tell you from the initial install that this cable is working great. If I have any problems, I will report back.

I also took my negative cables and had new battery terminals installed at NAPA. They did me a good job too.

My install went well and the truck starts great now. One word of advice....be easy on that stud coming off the starter. It WILL break off and you will have to go get your extra starter from your parts motor!:idiot:

Last edited:

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never mind.....I see it now lol. That's a good price....much cheaper than any I've found this far that's specific to our trucks.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, I was a little late with adding the picture and link. Forgot to in the original post.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
I know they ship, but why cant the North East have Oreilly's :( I miss them

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That IS a good price! Looking at what you got too, I could deal with that. Does it widen to 3/0 on the starter run, or remain 2/0?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is 2/0 the whole way, but seemed to be a pretty honest 2/0 and was almost as thick as the original under the insulation.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Batteries from advance and the cables still look brand new. Not even getting any corrosion.

Very pleased.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are these cables working?

Did you notice improved starts and charging?