Fuel return regulator??

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm swapping my 6.9 to a 1992 7.3. Just a few changes, nothing major. Oil cooler,engine mounts, few brackets,etc. My question is on this '92 engine [ out of an E350 ambulance ] at the injector end of #3 fuel line there is what may be a regulator of some sort. The 6.9 does not have one and I don't believe my '88 7.3 had one either. Do I need this thing? I took it off and used the 6.9 fuel line. Should I put this little gadget back on or leave it with the 6.9 fuel line? Just not sure what it is.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Second injector back on the driver side?

If so, that is the factory timing adapter...and you did well by taking it off and using the different line.

Vans had this on the #4 cylinder...trucks on number 1.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The number 3 cylinder is on the passenger side of the engine and the 2nd cylinder back from the radiator. On the number one cylinder is where the pulse timing adapter is found on the truck applications. This same looking adapter is found on cylinder number 4 on the van applications. Thats the second cylinder back from the radiator on the vans. Look closely at the intake manifold port runners where they bolt to the heads. See between the 2 bolts the cylinder number cast into the manifold.

ve290

Reaction score
Second injector back on the driver side?

If so, that is the factory timing adapter...and you did well by taking it off and using the different line.

Vans had this on the #4 cylinder...trucks on number 1.

Is there a reason to remove this adaptor?

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the engine from the back. It is #4 [E350]. What is the purpose of this? So the engine will run fine or better without it?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a reason to remove this adaptor?

Not really...if it's not leaking.

If you do remove it, you have to get the line off a van(if you have a truck) or vice versa. The line where the adapter is, it's just a little shorter to accommodate the adapter.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a little FYI, BOTH MOTOR MOUNTS ARE DIFFERENT. I fought for an hour trying to line them up. The passenger side motor mount is 1" farther forward than the truck.

Also if you leave the #4 timing adaptor line on you have to face you air cleaner inlet to the passenger side. The curve in the line sticks up too high not a huge deal.

And you changed the d/s exhaust manifold also right??

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No real reason to remove it. But if you do then you need another hard line to replace the now shorter line. Never try to force the short line to fit the injector. It slightly changes the timing on that cylinder because the line is shorter. Way back when these engines were new this adapter is what the pulse clamps connected to for timing. You can still find those types of timing devices but they are really rare and no need for them too. Usually the displays on those older meters has been burned from some mechanic leaving them powered up not in use. They can't be repaired so I'm told too. Not parts available isue.

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes on the engine mounts. I just changed both of them to be sure. The issue I just ran into is the oil cooler. The are very different as far as the filter end and the bolt pattern on the other end. I'll have to use the filter from the 6.9 and the other end from the 7.3. Never done this before. What am I getting into on this? I can gaskets easy enough but not sure about the big O-rings. Is this an easy job? Also, yes on the manifolds. Used both of mine, mainly because of the turbo. I turned up the pump 1 flat. That screw was a lot tighter than I remember.

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what my original plan was. But after looking at it I noticed the 6.9 uses 3 bolts at one end and the 7.3 uses 4 bolts. My 6.9 looks like it may have been weeping a little oil anyway. The bottom was pretty oil soaked. I looked up gaskets for it and the set comes with 3 gaskets. Looks like a 6.9/7.3 universal set.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No matter what TRUCK oil cooler you have they are use 4 bolts in each end. Only the Van application use 3 bolts. A van oil cooler will not work in a truck. I believe the bundles will work in either truck or vans. Its the headers thats different. O rings fit both cooler bundles the same unless you have a very old 6.9 cooler that takes 3 o rings per end. Sadly those o rings are no longer available.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what my original plan was. But after looking at it I noticed the 6.9 uses 3 bolts at one end and the 7.3 uses 4 bolts. My 6.9 looks like it may have been weeping a little oil anyway. The bottom was pretty oil soaked. I looked up gaskets for it and the set comes with 3 gaskets. Looks like a 6.9/7.3 universal set.

True. What Gary was trying to say is that the engine block is drilled and tapped the same 4 holes. Vans just use 3 instead of 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01