E4OD Transmission budget minded upgrades

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I've finally talked myself into sticking with the E4OD. I know I've read of common upgrades to help this transmission that don't cost much; most to do with cooling. I have no luck with the search function. Can you guys give me a run down? Also, could you build an external cooler from an AC radiator?

1994 Ford F250, 2wd, 7.3L IDI, NA, E4OD

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see why you couldn't use a ac condenser, the only issue I think would come up would be over cooling the transmission, you should add an in line filter and a banks transcommand.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I think the internal orifices would be too small.
Most aftermarket coolers use normal sized tubes.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would never use an A/C condenser for a Auto trans, the volumn of flow is what is needed for cooling and lube of the rear bearings,The hotest oil from the trans, comes directly from the Torque Converter and that oil is probably 50 - 80 degrees hotter than the oil in the trans is. A good Aux cooler is around $50.

An inline filter from Ford is a good filter with an internal magnet, About $15. Just change it every 30K to 40K miles, with a trans fluid change. No need to change the trans filter at a fluid change unless they are half plugged, if it's that way, you need a rebuild anyhow.

A bypass mod would be good in case the filter or Aux cooler would become plugged for some reason, it bypasses the oil to the rear bearings for lube, but not cooling. Ask Ford dealer for the 4R100 bypass tubing. Pic below.

A trans temp gauge is good to have, that tells you if your having a problem within the trans. Install it in the pressure port on the drivers side just ahead of the shift shaft.

As far as any upgrade in the trans guts, it can be/get quite expensive, DYI would be around $600. Unlease you do heavy towing a gut rehab is not needed.
Your 94 should have all the updates in it already. If you have around 200K on it, clutch packs might need replaced, if you notice any slippage in it, or a bunch of junk when changing the fluid.
Mercon V or Ford licensed compatable is recommened.

Heavy towing, a Tugger kit is a mod that helps with shifting, although a Ford trans engineer says there usless and shouldn't be installed.

You have 2WD so a transfer case don't enter into the equation.

Edit: If you have a lot of miles on the trans, you might want to do this, that flushes the torque converter.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?29296-Flushing-a-E4OD-or-4R100

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• E4OD bypass.JPG
    E4OD bypass.JPG
    7.5 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on the aux cooler idea. They aren't terribly expensive and it was just an idea.

1994 Ford F250, 2wd, 7.3L IDI, NA, E4OD

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Can someone explain this cold weather external bypass I see mentioned in the TruCool site?

"Tru-Cool MAX transmission cooler with external thermal bypass

Tru-Cool # LPD4739, 40,000 GVW rating, 45,000 BTU rating
8 1/2 x 22 3/4 x 1 1/4 inch
3/8 inverter flare (fittings are included for thread to hose barbs) Includes external thermal bypass for cold climates!"

Thanks

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
The dummy over here figured it out. ;Sweet

http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/Bypass-Instructions-by-MK.pdf

So, who runs something like this and how necessary are they?

While casually snowplowing at temps below 0F, I'm lucky to see 150F unless I'm pushing 6+ inches of snow, then I can still get her up north of 200F. Would this type of application benefit from such a gizmo?

Hopefully this is still within the realm of the original threrad cookoo:dunno:D

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An E4OD will NOT shift into OD until the trans temp reaches IIRC 120*F, that is more or less the purpose of the thermal bypass, just helps to get the trans temp up quicker in bitter cold. My trans (The 99) takes about 2-3 miles for it to reach the temp to shift into OD, in temps around 30*F, I don't have the bypass valve.

gandalf

Reaction score
I too have a Tru-Cool Max 4739. I bought it as cheap insurance. It cost a lot less than a rebuilt transmission. I'm also running it without the bypass. I don't really need it here in sunny California. When the temp drops to 30°F we stay inside and cuddle up.

This cooler lowered my trans temps about 30° or so. I have a big cabover camper almost permanently mounted. It's like driving down the road with a huge sail. That thing pushes a lot of air, creates a lot of additional resistance. I want every advantage I can get, and I do not want to have the transmission rebuilt.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
You wont need a thermal bypass unless you live in a extremely cold climate. We're talking weeks of single digit temps.

Tru Cool 4739 is a 4R100 cooler for a V10 without the Ford brackets. Universal brackets are included with the kit. Use this with your E4OD mount it any way you want. Make sure the fittings do not face up. Always down or sideways. This will prevent your cooler from turning into a trash can.

The TCM will prevent the converter from locking until operating temp is achieved. It will shift into fourth (OD) when cold. Just no lock up.

Internal upgrades would be replacing aluminum carrier planet gears with steel. 4 pin overdrive, 6 pin forward and low reverse. Not to expensive. There are other things that can be done. Depends on how much you want to spend and what you're doing with the vehicle.

Add a shift kit Trans Go Tugger or Sonnax sure cure.

Now the expensive part. The part that give the poor E4 a bad rap. Torque converter. Look for a lower stall multi disk converter with a billet face. Converter failures are the number one failure of the E4 and 4R trannys.
you're looking at $500+ for a decent converter.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An E4OD will NOT shift into OD until the trans temp reaches IIRC 120*F
Damn it, I always get this Bassakwards. Guess it's programmed into this febal brain.

The TCM will prevent the converter from locking until operating temp is achieved. It will shift into fourth (OD) when cold. Just no lock up.
Thanks again trackspeeder.