Pulling the engine. What gaskets can I replace?

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
SO I've got the truck in the garage and engine removal surgery starts Monday. Main reason for pulling engine is to replace oil pan and also install a new radiator core support.

With that in mind, what gaskets can I easily get to? I'd like to do a typ4 cam and lots of other goodies while it's out but the budget doesn't allow that currently (need more snow to plow!!). But while it is out, I want to replace all easy-to-get-to gaskets. I'm not planning on any crankshaft removal or unbolting any rods, so can I do the crankshaft seals?

The oil cooler is already on the list as is a new waterpump, just because it's nice outside now and I don't want to do those while the engine is in the truck. ;Sweet

Let me know which gaskets I should do and order!

Thanks

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't use an oil pan gasket when you replace the pan, just silicone. You can replace both crank seals easily, valve covers, oil cooler.

When you change the water pump remove the timing cover. You can then reseal it and replace the front crank seal very easily

jhenegh

Reaction score
Is there a gasket for the IP mounting gear tower/pedestal (not sure what to call that...)? Not where the IP actually bolts on itself, just the piece there that the RPM sensor and oil fill tube is. Mine visibly leaks there now

jhenegh

Reaction score
Ok good.

How does the timing cover seal differ from the front crankshaft seal? Both are listed in the parts catalog.

I'll have the engine out in a few days hopefully so I can better see these questions haha

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
replace the intake gasket!
I just did a engine swap from a 6.9 to a 7.3T
soon as I fired he up, oil down the back of the engine.
was a PITA while its in the truck.

I might add, to do a lot of cleaning and painting while its out. it'll make yourself feel better

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Ok good.

How does the timing cover seal differ from the front crankshaft seal? Both are listed in the parts catalog.

I'll have the engine out in a few days hopefully so I can better see these questions haha

The front crank seal is in the timing cover, perhaps they are multi listing it.

If your engine has some miles on it, you should seriously consider getting the speedy sleeves for the seals. The sleeves fit around the rotating surface and make a nice smooth place for the seal to keep your oil in.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
glad to see im not the only one that calls it vato zone... hahaha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online