AC issues

Powerstrokin350

Reaction score
My 2003 F-350 has A/C issues. Used to be that when it idled for a while, or a lot of stop and go the A/C would shut off and blow hot. Usually on e you got going and got the air to flow over the radiator AC would kick back on, and I would notice the needledrop just a hair. So, I figured it was the fan clutch. Change that out, now the AC seems to go off whenever it wants. My wife made a 40+ mile run said it was sporadic when AC would work. I hopped in about an hour after she got home, drove it for 10 miles AC never came on. Any ideas?

Powerstrokin350

Reaction score
Also forgot to mention, while my son was at baseball practice I went out to the truck and fired it up The AC compressor clutch was acting very erratic. Did look like it was holding good but it was turning on and off very quickly. Then after about a minute it clicked on and stayed on like it should. I ran around felt the air coming out of the vents, very cold. After baseball practice drove to the store blew cold the whole way. Then drove from the store to home, about five minutes, blew cold the whole way home.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only way to really diagnose that is with gauges hooked up to the Hi and Lo sides. Normally short cycling (A/C clutch ON/OFF) like you indicated is that the system is low on refrigerant, but on your last post saying it worked OK, it could have been the orfice tube was plugged and broke loose, now it's working OK. The accumulator has a filter in it so it has probably caught any debris. Normal operation is the Hi side pressure is around 180 to 240 PSI and Lo side is 25 to 30 PSI.

Powerstrokin350

Reaction score
I'll check those today and keep y'all posted. Thanks. Oh, and when you blow/wash out the condenser, should I blow from inside out? Or does it matter?

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your compressor have a pressure switch, 2 wires to a connector on top rear left as you look at it. Mine (1997) did as yours is and it was that connection. Cleaned pins and spread slightly and has worked ever since.