Steering gear problems

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently replaced my steering gear with a rebuilt one from NAPA because the old one was leaking like crazy. At first, it felt fine. Now, it has a very slight leak at the inlet fitting, and every now and then it seems to malfunction. Sometimes, it seems like I don't quite have full power steering. Usually I can hear a low groan but its kind of hard to tell over the diesel rattle. Occasionally, it feels like it actually hangs up for a second, like the steering linkage or shaft is binding but then it lets loose (and nothing is binding). I've put about 800 miles on it since replacing it. I don't think its a power steering pump, since I would think it'll either produce pressure and flow or it won't, don't know why it would be intermittent. Fluid level is full.

Is there supposed to be any kind of crush washer at the inlet fitting? Its as tight as makes sense but seems to have a very slight seepage there.

Any ideas on the bigger issues with steering? I'm thinking I should just take it in and get it exchanged under warranty.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would talk to your NAPA counter and complain. I just bought a new unit for my 93 F450 from them and it's been glass smooth. I'm guessing you have a rebuild that has issues? Should have a NAPA warrante still.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
was it rmfd by a1cardon? if so plan on inatalling several until you get a good one.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Seems the A1 Cardon is a bit sketchy on quality rebuilds these days. Not sure why this is so but its refered to on the board several times in the past few years.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They aren't terribly hard to rebuild yourself. Did mine back in '99 (hasn't leaked since!) but then I had been trained to do Ford boxes when I worked at a dealership in the early/mid '80s and later to do Range Rover boxes in the late '80s and early '90s when I was a Land Rover tech. The service manual lines it out pretty well. I had to improvise some tools to size the teflon seals on the spool valve but don't remember that being a problem (IIRC, I adapted a piston ring compressor).

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This one was a "Premium Napa Steering," the warranty card says its built by BBB Industries. I tried to rebuild the old one, but it seemed beyond what I was willing to mess with. I couldn't find any good instructions on how to work on it - where can I find a service manual? Its not in my Ford truck service manual. Anyway, it worked just fine today. I'll give it a bit before I replace it I guess.

Any details on this plastic washer thats supposed to seal the inlet fitting? Where to find one? I can't find any mention of one anywhere.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01