which winch?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will be going on the front of my 91 F350. truck weight approx 8k lbs. Its my daily but go thru some nasty snow and mud sometimes in winter and spring.

The viking unit guy says motor was rebuilt and then winch was never reinstalled.
Or can get a lightly used badlands 12k winch for 200 bucks.
Viking would take 300.

Thoughts?
You must be registered for see images attach

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what either is, so the Viking in the picture is a worm gear drive, and looks essentially like a Pierce or Ramsey of similar design. They are slow, DID I mention they are SLOW.... however usually if kept fed with tons of power READ BIG Cables and batteries, they run nicely for quite some time and are hard to stall out.

The second one without knowing what it is or seeing I cannot give opinion to however at 12 K for 1C less just maybe worth looking at.

Can you get a couple pics of the other one?

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
you can get a brand new badlands 12k for 299 if you watch for the coupons. I am running on on my truck. so far so good. very thin battery cables though. I plan on upgrading them.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what either is, so the Viking in the picture is a worm gear drive, and looks essentially like a Pierce or Ramsey of similar design. They are slow, DID I mention they are SLOW.... however usually if kept fed with tons of power READ BIG Cables and batteries, they run nicely for quite some time and are hard to stall out.

The second one without knowing what it is or seeing I cannot give opinion to however at 12 K for 1C less just maybe worth looking at.

Can you get a couple pics of the other one?
Badlands is hazzard freight ? Yes? House brand?!
Overkill is better than a winching failure , worm drives rock!
Do some reading on pirate4x4 , may be billavista

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'll take a worm gear any day over a planetary. I've broken many cheap planetary winches. if it does not have a friction brake that will hold the rated weight, you are now so very dead from freeefall. a suggestion if you do get the worm gear winch. get a thermosensor with gauge and run it to your dash. you must stop and let it cool when the electric motor gets excessively warm. bigger the battery cables, the cooler it will run and longer duty cycles can be had.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My micro crawler

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'll take a worm gear any day over a planetary. I've broken many cheap planetary winches. if it does not have a friction brake that will hold the rated weight, you are now so very dead from freeefall. a suggestion if you do get the worm gear winch. get a thermosensor with gauge and run it to your dash. you must stop and let it cool when the electric motor gets excessively warm. bigger the battery cables, the cooler it will run and longer duty cycles can be had.

Here here!
See if ya can find one with power in/out!
This warn is only 8k but it will pull the truck off the ground( 3k wet)
A little fast but it rocks the job!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah its harbor freight badlands unit for 200. It is practically brand new. Comes with mounting plate too all for 200. advertised as having a brake. onlt 5% duty cycle though.

the guy selling the viking said it used to be on the back of a flatbed.
Viking unit looks like it would need some resto work and a cable guide?

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 12K from Harbor Freight mounted on my car hauler...hasn't let me down yet. $300 new, it has a brake built into it and I got the wireless remote for an extra $30...very handy when loading cars by myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Staff online

Members online