Wastegate Adjustment

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
89 F350 4X4 7.3 idi 5 spd 4.11 with rebuilt ATS 093 factory turbo installed. 3" down pipe & 4" Diamondeye exhaust (with muffler). Rebuilt injection pump and new BB injectors from pensacola. Timing set by Mel. I have now turned up the fuel 5 flats and cannot get more than 7lbs of boost. No leaks that I'm aware of. How should the waste gate be adjusted for more boost?

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5 FLATS WOW Hope you have a pyro :sly

Shorten wastegate rod = more boost.

Be careful. Make sure to hold the rod while turning. do not let the plunger turn in the diaphragm. When I did mine the rod snapped off right beside the nut. I drilled and easy-out-ed it out and welded a 1/4" fine thread bolt to the rod. Works fine.

Got mine set to 11-12 psi.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
I was just reading that it was lengthen the rod to increase boost because that will hold the wastegate in and require more boost pressure to relieve it...

And while I'm here, is there any downside to disabling the wastegate to permanently closed (or just removing it)? Not trying to hijack the thread...

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Search button every ? You will have has been answered!
Google your ? Add oilburners.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
Search button every ? You will have has been answered!
Google your ? Add oilburners.

Doesn't really make sense but I think you're telling me to use the search button... Which is kind of rude considering I did and wasn't able to find the answer I was looking for. If you're so tired of helping people, you can go elsewhere.

As for the original question, I have read both shorten and lengthen the rod, so I'm not really sure which one is correct.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the arm attached to the wastegate swings rearward toward the firewall when it opens. Thus, if you lengthen the rod, it becomes easier for the wastegate to open, and if you shorten it, it puts more pull forward on the arm, keeping it closed longer.

Hey, you have a boost gauge, figure it out. Not hard at all to do. Just don't turn the diaphragm inside the canister as that will tear things up. (so I've been told)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This may help understand the function of the wastegate. Normally they are closed. Only when we make a planned amount of boost will the gate operate. this means as we increase bost lbs the gate opens to limit boost by sending hot exhaust gas directly into the tail pipe. It essentially is bypassing the hot side turbo wheel. Now increasing the plunger spring pressure on the wastegate you increase the boost pressure on the intake side. More boost pressure going in the intake is more air volume. That in turn increases the turbo exhaust pressure. The exhaust pressure increase is the "power" needed to spin the intake side of the turbo fan to make more boost. So add more spring pressure on the wastegate wil increase the boost pressure

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I have a pyro but have not towed with the truck since turbo install. Previously had the pump turned up two flats which resulted in 6 to 7lbs of boost and zero smoke. Over the weekend I turned it up an additional three flats (total 5) and still getting the same boost however it will smoke some when you really step on it. Also noticed a little quicker acceleration going through the gears. During the hot summer I had to drive over a long steep mountain (this was at the 2 flat setting), very little smoke was noticed and the pyro did get near 1000 degrees, truck was empty. Note: I don't necessarily want the truck to smoke, just using it as a reference regarding fuel.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adjust. Your. Wastegate.

Most say 15 psi max is OK for stock head bolts. I run a bit less than that.

Obviously, load and rpm have an effect on boost as well.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so I need to shorten the rod? Does the stock wastegate have enough adjustment to achieve this? I thought the factory designed it to be somewhat idiot proof, meaning you cannot shorten the rod enough to destory the engine with too much boost?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Searching google for your question and adding oilburners to the search is what I meant!
And yes I'm rude crude #%^^*** and sociably unacceptable!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yeah, there was a recent thread on it.
From my personal experience, I would stay below 10 psi. Lol
Boost psi doesn't mean much, just a measure of restriction.
If you're happy with the power you have, leave it alone.
And a great big lmao at your injectors and pump. That could be your problem.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to be a a$$, but if you don't know what you're doing to the point of not being able to figure out how to adjust the wastegate perhaps you shouldn't be messing with boost/fuel settings.... very very easy to blow your engine up there, do you have the money/means to deal with that?

All for customizing / modding stuff, but there's a certain degree of basic knowledge to be had first....

Immediate thoughts, 5 flats should give you a huge amount of smoke (as in double or more the amount of fuel).... probably you're either maxed out or the pump isn't all that great to begin with.

Wastegate shorten or lengthen depends on how exactly it's setup.... the smart thing to do is get a handheld vacuum/pressure pump and adjust it to open when you want. Or just disconnect and plug the line.

But, perhaps you should consider that there's limits to what these engines seem to be able to handle, and there's an inverse relationship on boost/power vs reliability (generalized). Sure you *can* likely run 15 psi on stock motor, but chances are good the head gaskets aren't staying there long.... 10 seems to be the generally accepted limit for a stock motor, and head studs are a very wise idea....

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My personal thoughts on this subject are that the turbos on these things don't move enough air efficiently to make higher boost levels effective. High boost = hot air. Hot air is no good for making power. Without an intercooler, I think a turbo upgrade is the better bet vs just cranking more boost with the stocker.
Travis..

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Any boost over about 12 or 13 lbs is going to be near 300 degrees air going into the intake. This is why an intercooler is desired to run more than 10 lbs of boost. The air gets heated up by the turbo intake fan beating the hell out of it to make more pressure. Cooling down the inlet air charge makes hp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
E Moeller