Tightwad WMO filtration system test

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i figured i would start a thread documenting my results. i wanted the complete system on ebay, but at almost $600 with shipping and being a little unsure it was gonna work, i decided to piece basically the same thing together and came out around $200, heres what i ended up getting...

1. first off was the de-watering element...
http://www.oiltofuel.com/defifi10fiho.html

2. then was the 3 filter housing...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/40064146827...l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT#ht_2051wt_916

3. and then is the pump and hose kit...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/36097311364...2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT#ht_2858wt_1301

the plan is to use the pump and hoses to pump 46 gal of oil at the pick up location to my 55 gal drum, add some seafoam and 9 gal of RUG (ending up with W85), stir well with a paddle/mud mixer, let it set for a couple days, mix again then use the filtration to transfer to another drum, back and forth until im comfortable, then use it.

im fully expecting a failure out of this, if thats the case i will get a fuge and add it to the process. the above parts are ordered, i should have an idea how this is gonna do in a week or so. fingers crossed...

Last edited:

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that looks like a really good setup, wouldn't say it's a tightwad set, actually the opposite.;Sweet
When you transfer the wmo between barrels make sure you check the bottom or whats left in the bottom, just so your not picking up stuff that already settled out.
Have plenty of rags on the ready, when spills occur, floor dry, but looks like your good to go.

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that looks like a really good setup, wouldn't say it's a tightwad set, actually the opposite.;Sweet
When you transfer the wmo between barrels make sure you check the bottom or whats left in the bottom, just so your not picking up stuff that already settled out.
Have plenty of rags on the ready, when spills occur, floor dry, but looks like your good to go.

REALLY!? cool! i say tightwad because from what ive read, i should be getting a fuge, its just not in the budget right now. i have a local source for barrels, ive just got one now (removeable lid) got it for $15, he has them with fixed lids for $5, i figured it was worth the extra $10 to be able to clean it easily. might get 2 more.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think its better to start out little smaller, then build up your system.
The filters & housings you can use with a CF later on.
This whole business of making & using wmo, a person needs to a "feel" for whats going on, then expand later.
It's kinda what I've done with mine, I'll throw my mix together, then push it through 3 filters, water filter, 10 micron filter, then 1 mic fiberglass filter.
I figure that mixes it pretty good before the CF. Then run it through the CF. I make small batches 13-15 gallons at a time.
I'm not as brave as Josh to leave stuff run while I'm gone. I usually need about that many gallons to refill my wmo tank on the pickup.

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, i figured if this was a bust its better to be out $200 then $600. Plus starting like this, im still mobile with it... I can do it at home or take the stuff to work, whatever.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It took me a long time to get the courage to leave it running while I sleep etc. I have left the heat on to come home to a barrel full of oil and gas flashing into flames and running out of oxygen over and over again. LUCKY i didn't burn the shop down. If it had been an open top drum it would have.I don't often forget my heater is on anymore, yet it is still not automated, thats my next big expense is an automatic temperature controller. Adding hydraulic hoses and wire reinforced suction hoses gave me the courage to run it at night. I have gotten my batches so hot as to melt the plastic insulator off my heating elements and to melt the rubber off the wire running to the heater. I am slowly building a new processing tank that has the heater installed from the outside to keep the wires and insulators on the outside of the drum.

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my triple filter showed up today, do i want to use any of these filters... polypropylene 5 mic sediment filter(feels like styrofoam), 5 mic granular carbon filter, 5 mic carbon block filter. if not, what do i want, gonna need 2 filters because the de-watering filter will go in one housing.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go biggest micron rating to smallest. But since they all have the same micron size/rating try to figure which one would "grab" the biggest particle, then which filter would get the next size etc, etc. Water filter first.
Whats kinda interesting about your filters is that carbon block filter. That could get full in a hurry with all the soot & carbon in wmo. Maybe thats the one that should go last....????
I checked out your post on some of the ebay stuff, I'm assuming these filters you received are the same..??? For filtering wmo???

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go biggest micron rating to smallest. But since they all have the same micron size/rating try to figure which one would "grab" the biggest particle, then which filter would get the next size etc, etc. Water filter first.
Whats kinda interesting about your filters is that carbon block filter. That could get full in a hurry with all the soot & carbon in wmo. Maybe thats the one that should go last....????
I checked out your post on some of the ebay stuff, I'm assuming these filters you received are the same..??? For filtering wmo???

this is actually a water filtering system, im fine with getting different cartridges if these wont work, i actually had my doubts about the styrofoam filter holding up to a W85 mix...

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I can't remember who, but there have been some people here using those types of filters, well see if they chime in.

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay, so here is how im gonna retrieve the oil from my pick up point, drop my suction line in the tank and pump to my drum...
You must be registered for see images attach

IMG_1926[1] by boostdcoupe, on Flickr

and then i will add the filters to the pump plumbing to pump/filter from one drum to the clean/ready to use drum...
You must be registered for see images attach

IMG_1927[1] by boostdcoupe, on Flickr

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks good so far. I'm guessing you'd use the pump without the filters to transfer the wmo from your barrel on the pickup, to your "filtering" barrels???
Another thing to keep in mind, those 12v pumps aren't as powerful as others, if those filters get full of junk, that pump is gonna work hard. As our outside temps get colder, that 12v pump will work harder too.
Just so it doesn't burn out. If you can try to rig up a 120v ac pump for filtering, should last longer.

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks good so far. I'm guessing you'd use the pump without the filters to transfer the wmo from your barrel on the pickup, to your "filtering" barrels???
Another thing to keep in mind, those 12v pumps aren't as powerful as others, if those filters get full of junk, that pump is gonna work hard. As our outside temps get colder, that 12v pump will work harder too.
Just so it doesn't burn out. If you can try to rig up a 120v ac pump for filtering, should last longer.

i figured the money i save each month i would use to get improvements in my system, hopefully by the time cool weather gets here i will have a PA biodiesel pump and fuge setup.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep the whole setup with PA biodiesel is the way to go.
That electric motor with pump attached is nice, less things to go wrong. Meaning belt driven PS pumps like I've got.