1998 Dodge RAM, 3500 12V

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all, hope all is well. some of you know me from the Ford 6.9 forums from several years back.

well recently my old Dodge half ton took a major $H*T and about just stopped running all together, none the less, I bought a 1998 RAM 3500 with the 12V in it. so far the truck has exceeded my expectations for being a 12valve.
I just have a few questions.

1) after I let the truck sit overnight the next morning I go to start it, it pops right off then 15 seconds later she stumbles and stalls. to restart I have to give it half throttle and let it blow all the white smoke out (lack of fuel) then she runs great and idles fine. when i bought the truck on first day she popped right off didn't stall but I'm not sure if the dealer guy had started and drove it before i came just so it would start, to me it sounds like its loosing a prime somewhere but I'm not sure where. is there a check valve anywhere that could be causing this problem that may be stuck.

2) the pump has been turned up a notch, not by me but from previous owner. I can tell because no stock 12V will blow a ton of black smoke when you lay on it in 4th and 5th gear. I mean I smoked the crap out of a cyclist on accident, could the pump being turned up be associated with question 1?

3) currently it has the infinity stock radio in it, I get no sound from the driver front speaker and tweeter. but get sound from the rear just fine. I also get sound from the passenger tweeter but no the pass. door speaker. I replaced head units with chrysler factory radios in hopes on fixing 2 problems one the speaker output problem and it not reading CD's. POS mitsushity built garbage radio lol. could this be a bad amp in both doors? or just bad wiring or bad speakers.

4) Im trying to keep everything in the cab as factory as possible when it comes to electronics altho i want to get a pyrometer, boost, etc on a piller pod.

5) I went to the dealership and had them program my 2 new RKE transmitters, i also asked them to see if the truck was equipped with the Chrysler VTSS security system, well I watched him program everything and what not apparently the truck has VTSS but its disabled and the DRB reader keeps giving errors as when we want to enable it. any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
1: the fuel heater is a big air intrusion leak point. Can bypass it. As usual, rubber hoses.
Also have seen something about the OFV causes problems like that.
2: Doubt it. But I bet the fuel plate has been removed, and the star wheel turned all the way out.
3: Shouldn't have amps in the doors. Best option is to run new wire. But you can check what's there. To check wiring and speakers all in one, just try swapping them from the working side.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Carl6405

Reaction score
Hey... We need to connect! I have the same truck! 1998 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4, 12v here.

Try the basic stuff first. Replace your fuel filter. When I replaced mine, The bottom of the bowl was loaded with black debris.

The problem I have been battling is sloppy steering and the suspension was so stiff, could injure your back on a slightly rough road. Just got it out of the alignment shop yesterday. Alignment was fine, though my 2nd new steering gear box is bad. Suspension issue has been fixed, I had new rear leaf springs installed, which brought it back to stock. The PO had put HD leaf springs on.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carl,

Did you replace ball joints and all the lower end stuff? Also try and see if your track bar bolts are loose any?

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the stereo from what I've heard for the infinity system that's in my truck there are amps mounted to the speakers in the door I've inspected all the wiring under the dash and it looks solid. Next guess is to have the local electronics store try and figure it out. I replaced the head unit with a factory one that was known to work at one time.

As for the fuel filter I got receipts with the truck when I bought it and one recipt was for a fuel filter just last year in September or October, so it's been a year if not close so I suppose it is about time to replace it. Where exactly is the fuel heater? I'm gonna check the lines on it as well.

Any suggestions for a good durable reliable single disc clutch? I honestly don't wanna spend out the ass for a clutch kit when it comes time to change it, Becuase I know it is getting near. Since they turned the pump up the clutch can't handle all that power it usually slips when I'm at about 2500 rpm on an empty load just givin here a little goose. Any suggestions as in something out of adjustment maybe?

Carl6405

Reaction score
Yep.. all ball joints are new or near perfect in the front. I even purchased and installed one of those steering gear stabilizer bars. All that did was make the steering stiffer. The alignment shop recommended removing it. Said that it prevents the truck from finding center.

Its definitely the steering gear. This is the second one I have received from Aut-Zone. My thinking is that these re-built steering gears are not heavy duty enough to handle the weight of the front of the truck. Also, I am finding out this is a common problem and one, I don't think i can live with. If this is normal, I will have to get rid of the truck. I bought this truck with the thought of driving half way across the country, towing my travel trailer. Hours of driving, and having to keep sawing the steering wheel back and forth just don't cut it.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carl, I think I might need that heater in TN in the winter lol it can get pretty dang cold here lol

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Ah, yeah the premium sound system may have them.
Usually for filters are about 10k miles or every other oil change.
Long as your running quality fuels, shouldn't need the heater.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So do you think the amp powers both the 6x9s and the tweeters or just the 6x9s cuz as I stayed the left tweeter runs just not the 6x9 the driver side speaker and tweeter both don't run regardless.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Maybe look at a wiring diagram and see if both run through the amp.
It's likely they do.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill try and find one online. I take it your truck doesn't have the the infinity system. Im trying to retain the OEM stereo as much as possible but I'm thinking about going aftermarket when it comes to the head unit. since the only thing that works is the cassette player which i only have one cassette (Phil Collins, No Jacket Required! album) and yes I play it but I love CD's better lol.

so anymore suggestions on getting the front speakers to work properly would be great.

thank ya much

Ken

Maybe look at a wiring diagram and see if both run through the amp.
It's likely they do.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Don't/wouldn't own a dodge. Lol Just work on a few.
So it seems the amp is mounted to the speaker. Power flows into the amp, then out to the front and rear speakers, on each side.
So basically miles of wiring.
I would start by pulling the door panel and checking connections.
I understand "keeping it stock" as the infinity is good stuff, but you may be cheaper by going aftermarket, and still have higher quality.
Check this out, and the YouTube link in there. http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=48158

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been several weeks since my initial post I have solved all the problems and questions I had the front soeakers weren't working for 2 reasons. The amp on driver side was completely shot and the speaker had died and I had to go to pull a part and get a new amp, passenger side everything is good the speaker just died.

As for the starting and stumbling the idle was just set to low.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online