power boost

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
hey guys first off my truck is a 93 f250 7.3l idi N/A

so i noticed my truck picks up random power at idle. only brings it up 100 rpms or so
now when i first start it the truck does not do it. it is only once i give it gas (drive it) then stop like at a stop sign it will randomly get theses moments of enerygy. i have a full tank or fuel and there is no noticable leakes in my lines. also it is not on a rythem. per say it only does it when it wants to.
does anyone have any ideas?
thanks

mufflerbearing

Oil can
Reaction score
might be your AC compressor clutch [if you have one] kicking on or off, but i don't think so. it could be your high idle solinoid? it is supposed to kick off at 160 degrees I think. also it could be your injector pump governer if it has a lot of miles on it. maybe you could add some Stanadyne diesel fuel lubricant to smooth it out. just guessing.:confused:

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
might be your AC compressor clutch [if you have one] kicking on or off, but i don't think so. it could be your high idle solinoid? it is supposed to kick off at 160 degrees I think. also it could be your injector pump governer if it has a lot of miles on it. maybe you could add some Stanadyne diesel fuel lubricant to smooth it out. just guessing.:confused:
Thanks muffler bearing! however seeing as it is a new pump from mell i would hope not. and i watched my high idel solenoid to see if that two was it. and furthermore i filled up the tank and put some tranny fluid and deisele kleen in it and still no help. this is truely baffling me. :dunno

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yeah, sounds pump related.
Maybe seem how the advance arm on the side of the pump moves.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
Yeah, sounds pump related.
Maybe seem how the advance arm on the side of the pump moves.

how would i go about testing this? and would is that the arm on the bottom of the pump?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
On the driver side and runs to the bottom.
Just see if it moves freely.
Bout all I can tell you.
Someone else may know better.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Try leaving the fuel tank cap loose. You might be drawing a vacuum on the tank and causing a fuel surge. If thats not it then I suggest its the lift pump. What did you set the timing for. No matter what pump buy install it must be timed. Another suggestion is to have Mel time it if you are close to him.

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
i will check the lever tomorow thanks! as for tyhe timing i timed it by ear two weeks ago and it now just started doing this. i run out of fuel at a quarter tank so i know i should probaly go there anyways. but i will try the gas cap thing later tinight i apreaciate the help! any other suggestions would be highly helpful!

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
if the pump is new, please contact mel at his shop. he will steer you in the right direction.

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
alright. so i jusrt tested several of your therioues and no cigar. this time i let it idel and after about ten minutes of idleing it starting. so i removed the gas cap for A few moments and no cigar. i then checked my ac clutch ad that is not engaging.
the advance lever moves freely when throttle is angaged. i took a good video of it doing it but cant for the life of me figure out how to post itlol. could i email it to someone who can? and anymore ideas?

and with regards to contacting mell. the pump has worked fine for about 2 weeks now. it just recently started dooing this. would there be a reason it would all of a sudden start out of the blue?

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and with regards to contacting mell. the pump has worked fine for about 2 weeks now. it just recently started dooing this.would there be a reason it would all of a sudden start out of the blue?

Everything works fine until it fails lol. If its only two weeks old its probably still under warranty, call the guy who built it and see what he has to say. It seems like not too long ago there was another thread on one of his pumps doing the samething, but i think it was because of a broken advance arm.

Edit: nevermind it was causing the truck to be gutless because the throttle lever broke off the shaft. That wont help ya haha.

Last edited:

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
Everything works fine until it fails lol. If its only two weeks old its probably still under warranty, call the guy who built it and see what he has to say. It seems like not too long ago there was another thread on one of his pumps doing the samething, but i think it was because of a broken advance arm.

hah i guess. but i will contact them and see what they say. i was hopeing to find a simple fix but now i asm starting to worry it may be more complicated!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yep. Mel is a stand up guy. He'll take care of you, if the pump is for sure in question.
If you're near him, you may even drive over there.

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
Yep. Mel is a stand up guy. He'll take care of you, if the pump is for sure in question.
If you're near him, you may even drive over there.

i Have heard good things about him and his pumps wich is why i dont wana say its the pump yet hah.
and i just looked it up its a 9 hour drive. maybe its time to take O'le Birtha on another road trip;burnout

and i do have a video but i cant figure out how to post it. would someone allow me to email it to them and have them post it? sorry not exactly a computer genius:rotflmao

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online