Good day gone bad

wjamesm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it started out I was working on getting all the air out of the new fuel system , I replaced the mechanical fuel pump with an electrical Carrier pump a remaned Staydine injection pump and a set of new pop tested bb code injectors and return line and olives from Russ . Kept loosening the injector lines till it finally started to have signs of life , got tires of getting in and out of the truck so i got out my hand starter and she fired to life (YEA) , went around to the drivers side and see oil out on the ground and on the tire (***) hurry and shut her off and began to investigate , Well looks like it was shooting out from the oil cooler just ahead of the rear aluminum end cap . Don't know if the seals are bad or it's got a rust hole in it , hopefully it's just the seals . Removed the oil filter and then started to drain the coolant , well as my luck would have it the petcock wings were rusted off , get out the vise grips to turn the drain valve and of course smash the end close , so it's at a slow pour draining . Radiator wasn't leaking but alot of the fins in between the rows are deteriorating and i knew my core support was rusted out . So am looking for a core support and maybe an oil cooler . Think i'll go have a adult beverage :D .

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Might as well throw in a new radiator.
That end piece on the radiator drain will come off.
I broke mine off on accident.
Once you get it all drained, and the oil cooler off, look at it. I'm sure may just need new orings.
But they will rust out.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

wjamesm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the oil cooler off by just taking the steering shaft off , man this thing just continually leaks oil out , have a heck off a mess on the garage floor . Got the front aluminum housing off , doesn't look too bad just some buildup from the coolant on the inside , Have to wait till tomorrow when i go into work to use the vise to get the rear off . The tube looks pretty scaley with rust , after i get it separated i will tape up the ends and sand blast it to see if there is any holes .

wjamesm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the oil cooler off by just taking the steering shaft off , man this thing just continually leaks oil out , have a heck off a mess on the garage floor . Got the front aluminum housing off , doesn't look too bad just some buildup from the coolant on the inside , Have to wait till tomorrow when i go into work to use the vise to get the rear off . The tube looks pretty scaley with rust , after i get it separated i will tape up the ends and sand blast it to see if there is any holes . This was a municipal truck from Pittsburgh so it probably saw a lot of snow and salt . Found a radiator on Evilbay http://www.ebay.com/itm/231218127191?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 any opinions ?

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a nice clean oil cooler bundle if needed I will sell. already blasted ready for install.

wjamesm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the radiator i'll keep that one in mind . Shoot me a price on the oil cooler shipped to 16823 .

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely ditch the cap on the champion and get the correct pressure cap. I believe our system requires 13 psi?? And the champion I got had a 16psi cap. A combination of coolant flushes, followed by the champion install with the 16 psi cap cause my water pump to let go and start leaking.

wjamesm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know on the Champion radiator . Well the verdict is in the oil cooler has a rust hole in the tube itself , right by the welded on tab on the rear of the cooler . So does anybody have a cooler they want to sell ? The aluminum ends are ok so if anybody has just the tube or a whole cooler You can Pm me or reply on the forum what ever you want , like to get one asap . Thanks

Last edited:

wjamesm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea i did see that and i asked for a price and have't gotten a response as of yet from him . So i wanted to see if anyone else might have one they wanted to sell

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
sorry, I been busy with side work. I will dig it out tomorrow and get it on its way if you send me an addy. pm it to me. I will let you know the cost. will be less than 50. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01