Stranded in SD with loose shifter. Help please

tbiagent69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am stuck in San Diego after driving in this morning. Over the last couple days I have had to shift almost to 2 to get it in drive (c6 trans). I did not think much of it, but this morning my friend was moving the truck to our camping area and the shifter would move freely but the trans does not shift out of reverse.

I traced the problem to the shift lever on the trans itself. When you move the shifter it simply rotates on the shaft, looks like a press fit is worn out or sonething.

I have never heard of this. Is it common, or is there any way to fix it in the field? There does not appear to be any missing hardware or anything but it can be hard to tell considering the 27 years of grease and oil built up everywhere.

Thanks for any help!

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My idi is off site now but i have a small block c-6 here, the linkage has a nut that holds it all on you have to pull it to get to the neutral safety switch!
Clean it up, if all else fails a set of vice grips will let ya manually shift it!

tbiagent69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We went to home depot and bought a set of vice grips. From other pictures on the intrawebs it looked like that could only be removed by disconnecting the sprag inside?

If it can be done without all that work I will be stoked. I can barely reach in there with the exhaust and everything. Thanks!

tbiagent69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another question... how is it supposed to go together? Is it a slip or press fit, is it supposed to be welded? The arm is slipping on the shaft when the gear is changed. Sometimes it grabs and changes a gear, most of the time it does not

hallgren87idi

Reaction score
on my c4 there is a nut that you tighten onto the arm, i am only assuming a c6 would be the same. my truck with my c6 isnt at my house or i would look

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The kickdown rod is on first then the neutral switch then the shift linkage, then The nut!
The shift arm is keyed on think d shape?!
The nut just holds in from sliding off the shaft.
If the nut came off and ya cannot replace it use the vice grips to hold the arm up against the tranny case, it might get ya to a hardware store for a nut just dont wast the threads!
Or take it all off hotwire the switch so it will start and shift with the vicegrips on the rounded part of the shaft!
Good luck
Cb

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would jump the neutral sw. And leave it in drive this way you can just kill it in gear and restart it in gear and drive off!
Practice this move away from people first!
Take the 2wires and tie em together on the collum or on the tranny ford did it both ways?!? Iirc

tbiagent69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good advice, I will try to just nurse it home. Crappy thing is I have to fuel up too so that will he interesting. Kind of crappy, with this uncertainty I have to cut Scout Camp a little short. Fiesta Island is the absolute best camp I have been to!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Just make sure your parking brake works good.
Park where you won't have to back up, etc.
I'm sure you could have it welded, if you wanted.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21