Frustrated but still trying........

autotech84601

Reaction score
I love my truck. Let me start by saying that. I purchased this thing a year ago and have put all kinds of work into it. I wouldn't have been able to get even this far without Gary, Russ, and Mel and everyone else always helping out, (the rest of you know who are)! Today pushed me over the edge a bit though. I tried to purchase a water seperator spin on filter for the truck and it looked a little big. The part numbers I got were from another thread and they were relevant to my truck as it came to me with a spin on fuel filter with no separator. I figured I found what I needed and was going to make this right. I have put less than 2500 miles on the truck since I've bought a year ago and have slowly attempted to get this thing to where it should be. I found the filters did not fit as the gasket mating surface for the fuel filter is a lot smaller on the housing than it should be. Here is the frustrating part..... The fuel filter base that I have in the truck is not the correct one as it is a lot smaller than the part numbers of the filters I ordered for it. (Using wix 33417)In fact after looking at some pictures up close of some other base assemblies, this assembly is missing sensor ports and was rigged in there with a plethora of brass fittings. The only filter that will fit on it is a is a spin on fuel filter that is about the same size as the oil filter on my 86 Chevy gasser with no water separator. I replaced this filter on the truck about one month ago as I found it to be empty after my truck stalled in the middle of the road. (This was explained in another thread and help was received to help diagnose thanks.) Today I pulled it off and found corrosion around the opening of the filter. So now I'm thinking that this whole time that this filter system has been on the truck, the water has been making its way through and ruining the injection system. I proceeded to go back to the store, returned the filters that would not fit, and replaced the fuel filter once again with the stupid spin on oil filter type with no water separator. I did fill it with synthetic atf and ran for about 25 minutes. There was an occasional tapping here and there coming from the engine but overall it got quiet. Ran smooth. I decided it was finally time to use the test strip kit that I bought for the coolant as the owner I purchased the truck from had a reputable diesel shop put in a ford crate motor 60k or so ago. (Still have the original purchase receipt from the dealer from five years ago). The colors on the test strip were nowhere to be found other than the freezing protection. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh! So I'm wondering where to go from here as the local dealer is unwilling to help me find the filter base I need ( Its too old ) so I can protect what is left of my fuel system. And now I'm worried sick about cavitation. Would anyone happen to have a fuel filter base part number without the sensor ports? Or do they only come with? 89 F350 with ATS 088 turbo. I see some of the sensor wires there but they are currently not in use. And as far as the cavitation goes should I be worried with no protection and probably 70k on the engine? Thanks to everyone that has taken time out to help an idi rookie. Super frustrated but trying to push through. Thanks again!

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm almost positive I have a factory fuel filter casting, it came off a 94 idit. I also have a brand new from ford water separator bowl. If your interested

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another option on the bowl, if and when you find the filter head and can go back to the stock filters. There is a diesel marine seller who has clear bowls available let's you see the fuel ad it runs through your filter. I can dig up a link if you are interested.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
I wonder if someone rigged up a filter head from a 6.9 in there? In any way, fix it right to avoid the frustration and to regain the water separator.

Don't worry about the cavitation. 2 things:
1) it's an over rated concern, a possibility yes, likely, no.
2) you can't undue the past so there is no point in worrying about it.

Either add SCAs, or flush and fill with Fleatcharge or something similar, and then forget about it.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
The factory 7.3 filter water separator head is made by Racor. Its a Racor 325 series. Here are the Racor Numbers
RK 22724-01 Mounting Head Kit (no hole for heater)
This would be a replacement for factory head RK 30765 Mounting Head Kit with optional vacuum switch port

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PLEASE, TAKE THE TIME TO FILL IN YOUR SIGNATURE SO WE KNOW YEAR, 2 OR 4WD, ENGINE, TRANS ETC ABOUT YOUR TRUCK!!!

Ok, lets start with a very basic question, what engine is it 6.9 or 7.3?

Next if a 6.9 then you likely have the correct head it came with. If a 7.3 sounds like it's been changed, however a picture is worth a 1000 words.

If it's the 6.9 style you will can either swap it out for a 7.3 setup or add in a different one in conjunction with the one you have. Something like a Racor FG 500 or some other one can be added to the system. Others here can offer some tips on that.

Again please, fill in your signature to help us help you.

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the first post he said it's an 89 f350. So I'm assuming it's a 7.3 unless the engine was changed to a 6.9 for some reason.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
I love my truck. Let me start by saying that. I purchased this thing a year ago and have put all kinds of work into it. I wouldn't have been able to get even this far without Gary, Russ, and Mel and everyone else always helping out, (the rest of you know who are)! Today pushed me over the edge a bit though. I tried to purchase a water seperator spin on filter for the truck and it looked a little big. The part numbers I got were from another thread and they were relevant to my truck as it came to me with a spin on fuel filter with no separator. I figured I found what I needed and was going to make this right. I have put less than 2500 miles on the truck since I've bought a year ago and have slowly attempted to get this thing to where it should be. I found the filters did not fit as the gasket mating surface for the fuel filter is a lot smaller on the housing than it should be. Here is the frustrating part..... The fuel filter base that I have in the truck is not the correct one as it is a lot smaller than the part numbers of the filters I ordered for it. (Using wix 33417)In fact after looking at some pictures up close of some other base assemblies, this assembly is missing sensor ports and was rigged in there with a plethora of brass fittings. The only filter that will fit on it is a is a spin on fuel filter that is about the same size as the oil filter on my 86 Chevy gasser with no water separator. I replaced this filter on the truck about one month ago as I found it to be empty after my truck stalled in the middle of the road. (This was explained in another thread and help was received to help diagnose thanks.) Today I pulled it off and found corrosion around the opening of the filter. So now I'm thinking that this whole time that this filter system has been on the truck, the water has been making its way through and ruining the injection system. I proceeded to go back to the store, returned the filters that would not fit, and replaced the fuel filter once again with the stupid spin on oil filter type with no water separator. I did fill it with synthetic atf and ran for about 25 minutes. There was an occasional tapping here and there coming from the engine but overall it got quiet. Ran smooth. I decided it was finally time to use the test strip kit that I bought for the coolant as the owner I purchased the truck from had a reputable diesel shop put in a ford crate motor 60k or so ago. (Still have the original purchase receipt from the dealer from five years ago). The colors on the test strip were nowhere to be found other than the freezing protection. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh! So I'm wondering where to go from here as the local dealer is unwilling to help me find the filter base I need ( Its too old ) so I can protect what is left of my fuel system. And now I'm worried sick about cavitation. Would anyone happen to have a fuel filter base part number without the sensor ports? Or do they only come with? 89 F350 with ATS 088 turbo. I see some of the sensor wires there but they are currently not in use. And as far as the cavitation goes should I be worried with no protection and probably 70k on the engine? Thanks to everyone that has taken time out to help an idi rookie. Super frustrated but trying to push through. Thanks again!

Should be a 7.3 if it's original.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Here is what I would replace mine with. The filter comes out the top so you don't loose prime when changing the filter and you don't spill any fuel either. You can add a heater and a water probe if desired also. The clear bowl is nice. You can see the water and when you drain it you can stop before it's completely empty so no lose of prime. The best part is the filters I have seen for $8-$10 and you can get then ib 2,10,30 microns.
http://www.filtrationdepotonline.com/racor-500fg-fuel-filter-water-separator-equivalent-60-gph/

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SHOULD be 7.3 but hard to tell...again could have been swapped out at some point...sounds like it was.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
There is a very easy way to know what engine you have. On the drivers side on the top of the block next to the injection pump housing gear cover is the serial numbers. It will say either 6.9 or 7.3 in those numbers. Probably need to clean off some dirt to find them.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Or check the head bolts if it hasn't been studded. Bolt heads on a 6.9 are 7/16" 12 point, while they're 1/2" 12 point on a 7.3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online