Oil pan replacement help

bdemutis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi so I just got this truck I just got done welding in a new flood, cab corner, rockers, fixing the rad support and putting new fenders on and installing a fuel pump.
Well after getting her partly together just to fire it up I noticed my oil pan is leaking the pan looks great in the rear but I have oil coming from the front and from the dipstick grommet. -cuss
My question is what is the easiest way to replace the oil pan. My truck is a 1994.5 7.3 manual. I read online a bunch of ways to do this and I need the easiest way since I'm doing it in a driveway.
I need some suggestions any input and info will be great since I only ever took a motor out of a ford e150 van.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well you're in luck.
RiffRaff diesel sells an actual gasket for the oil pans on these, that does work. It's not some cheapo cork gasket either.
Personally, I would just replace the pan also. They were known to rust out, and sounds like it's seen a fair amount of salty roads.
Supposedly you can do it without lifting the engine. But that's doing gasket only.
To pull the pan, you need to undo the motor mounts and Jack the engine up.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To pull the pan,the motor must come out or the tranny has to come out with the motor lifter up about a foot.you will cause more aggravation than its worth trying to do it in the truck.the gray rtv the factory used to seal the pan is like cement.i broke 3 gasket scrapers and two big screwdrivers trying to get a pan off.

I dont know anything about this supposed gasket for the pan.i probably wouldnt trust it.when done right the gray rtv will never leak.must use the ford/international rtv.

If your pan is fine and the dipstick adapter is leaking,first try tightening the huge nut on the adapter.this sometimes fixes the leak.the oring on it can be replaced without pulling the pan,its a little PITA but can and has been done.search the forums on www.superdutydiesel.com for instructions.

If yo do pull the pan use a nice bead of rtv on the adapter instead of the oring,youll never have a problem with it again.

bdemutis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To pull the pan,the motor must come out or the tranny has to come out with the motor lifter up about a foot.you will cause more aggravation than its worth trying to do it in the truck.the gray rtv the factory used to seal the pan is like cement.i broke 3 gasket scrapers and two big screwdrivers trying to get a pan off.

I dont know anything about this supposed gasket for the pan.i probably wouldnt trust it.when done right the gray rtv will never leak.must use the ford/international rtv.

If your pan is fine and the dipstick adapter is leaking,first try tightening the huge nut on the adapter.this sometimes fixes the leak.the oring on it can be replaced without pulling the pan,its a little PITA but can and has been done.search the forums on www.superdutydiesel.com for instructions.

If yo do pull the pan use a nice bead of rtv on the adapter instead of the oring,youll never have a problem with it again.

Ok thanks also I'm replacing the pan because the front rotted it seeps oil from somewhere and the dipstick adapter I got a brand new one already from international yesterday.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The Riffraff gasket is made by Moroso Performance. Its not a cheap aftermarket gasket. I wouldn't be afraid to use it if you don't want to use gray death rtv. :Thumbs Up

bdemutis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can I replace it by pulling the motor leaving the trans in and putting the motor without taking the trans out I live on a hill and my driveway is sloped and its gravel. ripping the turbo out and lifting the motor sounds 10x better than removing a trans with a transfer attached to it and trying to get it back together.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tranny can stay in when pulling the motor.the turbo can stay on too.dont rely on the tranny to hold the truck on a hill with no motor in it!!!!!!! Block the wheels and set the ebrake!

The motor is real easy to pull.i can have one out on the ground in about 2 hours.

bdemutis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok well I'll start tomorrow after work hopefully it goes as planned and goes easy.