big fuel tank options?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Want to ditch the twin tanks for now and run a big single tank behind the rear axle. I will be making custom mounts so Im not worried about that.
I know rock auto has a 38 gallon for about 140$ but thats for a gasser.

What do you guys recommend for a minimum 35 gallon capacity rear single tank?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I think Al has some information on bigger tanks.
Some reason I recall seeing something about a 45 gallon.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, yes I do have some 40 gallon tank drawings :D I've got scanned and loaded so one could ahem...make one.

Also a 33 gallon bronco tank would be fine and many have done it.

there is a 38 gallon double thickness rear as well just twice as deep as stock 19 gallon model is all. Longer bolts same strapes and an extension on pu tubes...do some digging here with "SEARCH" you'll find the threads.

I was going the Bronco tank route then found out my two tanks are rotton to core, now with new plans may just get a nice plastic one!

JM2CW

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
havent had luck with the 38 gallon searching here, alot of irrelevant threads come up.
the 38 gal is a factory/aftermarket type tank?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Greg, since I think this is going on your 4x4 build project, since you are using an 05 Superduty frame, take a look for an Excursion (which was available with a diesel engine) fuel tank. The 99+ Superduty pickups used a s ingle, midship mount tank on the drivers side inside the frame rail in front of the rear axle. The Excursion used a single, 44 gallon aft mount fuel tank. It mounts in the "frame box" between the trailer hitch, and the rear axle, between the frame lrails. The filler on these is similar to the factory rear tank filler, straight in from the side of the body, behind the drivers side rear wheel. One nice thing about this setup is with the factory Excursion venting and fill tube (which has no "door" like a gasser filler) my preferred fuel stop has 1 pump with a normal auto gas sized nozzle, and one more for medium duty truck sized nozzle. I use the larger nozzle which just fits inside the fill tube, I can open that nozzle wide open and fill as fast as that pump will fill. (about 30 dollars in about a minute or a minute and a half. These tanks are "plastic" with a skid plate style mount. One thing though, like the Bronco tank, you will loose the ability to store the spare tire under the truck if you so choose. The Excursion spare tire is stored inside the passenger cabin, much like station wagon. I will say it is a big honking tank.... and I do not fill it full very ofter anymore..... it takes some coin to fill it at current fuel prices......

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
^ doh. Duh. Lol
Didn't even think of that.
What about fuel gauge? Just an aftermarket?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
44 gallons yes! 165 bucks to full though, ouch.

I dont mind filling the tanks to the top. Gunna use the fuel one way or another.

Thanks snickelas I will be looking for one!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure on the gauge, I would say aftermarket would be the easiest. I have no idea what "signal" it sends, since it is feeding the electronic needle dash vs an old fashioned gauge, it may even feed the signal to one of the control modules. Mine is still working fine so I have never investigated it. I do believe it still has some version of the "shower head" on the bottom of the fuel pickup. Again, at 11 years, and ~133,000 miles, mine is still where it belongs. I can, if I push it, which I do not like to do, because running a 6.0 out of fuel can be an expensive error, I have drawn the fuel down to the point the gauge barely moves when the ignition is turned on. Running a 6.0 out of fuel can destroy the injectors.... to the point in the later 6.0 (05 up) when the tank goes very low, the computer will actually introduce a miss into the engine while it is running to I guess get to you to look at the gauges. If you think you are going to run a 6.0 empty...... park it and walk to get some fuel..... it will be much less of a headache......

smithman

Reaction score
I did the Spectra 38 gallon steel tank for my IDI. It's bare steel, the same as the stock tanks so no issues with Diesel. I've read other posts about people thinking they are zinc plated...let me assure you the insides of the stock 19 gal tanks and the 38 gal big tank are the same. I had to extend my sending unit pickup + return lines. Don't use the copper ones that come with the tank. Diesel will eat it. Use stainless tubing from McMaster and radius it if necessary with a torch and hand bender. You also need to extend your float arm as well, so at least you know about where the tank level is. Same deal...don't use the copper extender that they include with the kit.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Not sure on the gauge, I would say aftermarket would be the easiest. I have no idea what "signal" it sends, since it is feeding the electronic needle dash vs an old fashioned gauge, it may even feed the signal to one of the control modules. Mine is still working fine so I have never investigated it. I do believe it still has some version of the "shower head" on the bottom of the fuel pickup. Again, at 11 years, and ~133,000 miles, mine is still where it belongs. I can, if I push it, which I do not like to do, because running a 6.0 out of fuel can be an expensive error, I have drawn the fuel down to the point the gauge barely moves when the ignition is turned on. Running a 6.0 out of fuel can destroy the injectors.... to the point in the later 6.0 (05 up) when the tank goes very low, the computer will actually introduce a miss into the engine while it is running to I guess get to you to look at the gauges. If you think you are going to run a 6.0 empty...... park it and walk to get some fuel..... it will be much less of a headache......

Well, I know for a fact that the 99-06 fuel gauge sending units are the same ohm readings as the OBS. I have a Super Duty tank on my OBS and the sending unit works just fine. Just use the sending unit that's meant for the tank; no need to fab anything up for the OBS harness.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picking up an 04 44 gal excursion tank up for 50 ucks. dont think it has a sending unit or anythgin with it but well see when i get to the yard.
plastic tank too, nice! never rust!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picking up an 04 44 gal excursion tank up for 50 ucks. dont think it has a sending unit or anythgin with it but well see when i get to the yard.
plastic tank too, nice! never rust!
:flipa:flipa

Not fair I want a tank that size for the rear...

How bout seeing if it fits the OBS frame? Just curious cause you could answer lots of ????'s from a few members by doing so!