5th wheel or goose neck and adapter?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Oogling some 5er's lately for when the truck is done. Love the layouts and the little bit I towed one, it was really nice. I don't like the 5th wheel hitch in the bed. I'm thinking about a goose neck and an adapter something like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=201131204984

Anybody ever use anything like this? Seems like a good idea other than the extra price but at least I would just be able to pull the ball to have the bed back.

As a follow up, looking for recommendations for a reasonable goose neck and/or 5th wheel hitch for a 91.

Thanks

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
B/w ??? Sold as ,turnover ball
This unit hides under the bed and gives ya both goose eck and fiver!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen that brand but only as a goose neck I think. It was like almost $500 so if it was both that would be less painful. I'll look.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep thats it!
A gooseneck in the bed and an adapter for the fiver???

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that doesn't come with the under bed gooseneck. It says works with your gooseneck. It's a nice piece I'm sure but wow. That would be well over a grand in the hitches. I can pick up a curt mount and flip over ball and the fiver adapter in the first post for less than just that spiffy adapter. I've done a lot of searching but I'm not finding much info. Sigh.

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
I like the 5th wheel to me they seem a little more stable and spreads the weight around a little more. also you can always remove the 5th wheel hitch from the bed of the truck when not in use I tend to leave the hitch hooked to the trailer and just pull the pins from the plate when I park it for extended periods of time.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The b/w is 2 separate orders, not cheap, hit their site directly its easier!
I am headed out to the 93 to install the frame bkts for my fifth now!
These are frame bkts( pic to follow) from later ford .

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here ya go!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    989.7 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    991.7 KB · Views: 25

Eason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a B & W hitch in my 83 f-250 & my 2011 F-150 and have a companion hitch as well. I love it. I've seen trailer frames crack with the added stress of the 5th wheel to gooseneck adapter you pictured. I was thinking about a adapter until I saw what it would do to a trailer frame. I lucked up and found a slightly used companion hitch at a swap meet for $350. B & W products are expensive but you are buying 100% top quality American made products with excellent product support. Eason

Idiforlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Goose-necks are for off road, rough terrain, livestock transport. The Ball allows the trailer to flex in all directions . If you hauling heavy mostly on road get Fifth wheel . There are two types of fifth wheels. One only pivots forward and Backwards these are on Most Commercial truck trailer set ups. Then you have the forward back side to side for RV's that see on and off road use. What are you hualing how heavy and what kind of truck. do you have HD spings ,Airbags, Dually ?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually am not hauling anything yet but shopping will commence soon. If you look at my sig, I'm building the truck. It's all stock except for the front axle swap suspension wise. I'd like to pick up a 5'er. They give you more living space in a package that is shorter overall but It will probably depend on what I can find reasonable. I was asking now so if I need to make any special provisions for it, now is definitely the time while everything is stripped bare.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01