7.3 dies! help!

mudslut350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i believe this has been a slowly progressive problem that has finally left me stranded and calling a buddy for a tow. so the truck is a 97 250 7.3l psd. on occasion about once a week or so if i gave it a heavy pedal from a stop or passing a car really anything that bumped the rpm around 3k i would get a check engine light and the truck would have reduced power. not limping down the road reduced but noticeable lack of snappiness. once the truck is shut off and restarted the light stays off and the truck runs fine. ran diagnostics and nothing is stored on the computer so i have no codes to go with. that happened to me today and after a quick stop and getting back on the road the light was out but while i was cruising at around 60 and noticed i was gradually having to increase pedal to keep up speed until finally got to the floor and the truck would not go any faster. the trans would downshift and the engine would fall on its face and die. it would not immediately start again. after a minute or two of sitting swearing :***: and looking like a psyco -Drool on the side of the road i tried again. this time she started but was very rough. i gave her a few burps with the pedal to the floor but rpm would not go over 2500 but it was smoothe. made it to the gas station because i run wmo thought maybe some bad oil i put a few gallons of d2 in my front tank which was empty and switched to it. she seemed running fine but once i got on the road and a quarter mile same thing. called a buddy for a tow and he pulled me home. once home i pulled the fuel filter out and found a ton of gunk in the injector pressure regulator screen :rolleyes:. cleaned it out and the truck runs and will stay running. now the problem is it feels as if it is running on 6 cylinders. still no warning lights at all during this whole ordeal. any help or info as to what the culpript may be would be greatly appreciated!:fan:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like injector orings.itll do exactly as you described.pull the fuel filter and see what the fuel and filter look like.

Its probably throwing a P1211 code wich will clear with a restart.fuel pump wont set a check engine light.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Lack of fuel to the injectors (clogged filter/bad pump) on these ruins the injectors.
Possibly had a clogged injector or few. Try a heavy dose of injector cleaner.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

mudslut350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after pulling the injector control valve off the side of the filter and making sure it was clean there was some gunk in it too slapped er all together and still ran ******. A buddy suggested it's air but seemed to be to consistent of a lope and had run it for several minutes with no change. Finally as soon as I recorded a video to post for yall on here it cleared up and is now running fine. My theory is the clogged screen caused the valve to empty and cause the problems once clean she just needed time to get the air out of her. We will see if it lasts!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You mean the fuel pressure regulator?
You must be registered for see images

That?
I bet it was air in the system. Can take awhile to work it out.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

mudslut350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pressure Regulator yes sorry haha it was a long day. Idk where pressure control valve came from but anyway...

mudslut350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so now im back to square one any ideas? now added to the original is a constant fuel filter light with a new filter installed
-cuss

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to get it to pop the CEL on,dont shut it off and have it scanned.

mudslut350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it can be scanned froma place like orilleys while it is running then? ive always been told they cant. fuel pump is only 2 years old but would not set off the light i dont think because it is vaccum operated.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fuel filter or pump wont cause a check engine light.if somebody tells you it cant be scanned while running,go someplace else.

What did the fuel filter and fuel in the housing look like?

Infront of the fuel filter housing is the high pressure oil pump.on the drivers side bottom of it you will see a little solenoid looking thing with a 2 wire connector,this is the ipr.make sure the solenoid isnt loose.the tin nut that holds it on is known to fall off.

Open up the wiring harness for the fuel filter/ipr.inspect for gummy,gooey wires.diesel spills from filter changes eats the insulation on the wires.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01