Brake Pads

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good morning. Could be the simplest or most controversial question of the day: brake pad preference.

I'm going to repack the wheel bearings on my dually and figured I might as well put pads on while I'm in there. I put some pads on my girlfriends daily driver a while back that I really liked from a quiet/zero brake dust standpoint, but I figured I'd ask the folks who know as a one ton is a little different animal than a PT Cruiser :D

I'm thinking the ceramic stuff is what I want, but just looking for something quiet and low dust.

Thanks

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I've been a fan of the semi metallic duralast golds.
They're actually quite.
I can't remember the brand orielly sells, but they're noisy.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats good to know.i just put a pair of duralst golds on chip truck.they stank for 2-3 days pretty hard.good lord lol.
i had just taken off a pair of powerstop's i bought on amazon.those were good.quite,dust free and lasted real good.
edit is what they were in my records;
Power Stop Extreme Performance Semi-Metallic Disc Brake Pads #2645002

i just had to replace them in my commercially used heavy hauler with hydroboost mind you,at around 115k miles or so i guess is on the truck now.iv got to look and jot it down for my new tires,but anyway shows i put those on at 70k miles.hopefully the golds last just as good.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I'm kinda using this as a notes list, but feel free to give opinions on what you've used.
Not saying to do it, but the golds have a lifetime warranty, and they will exchange them. Lol
So now I see duralast has a "max." (DGC120M) Trying to see if anyone has ran them.
I'm looking to upgrade. Well I should do hydro boost first, but that's another story.
I've seen mention of "severe duty" pads that are used for ambulances and such that are better. But I can't seem to find much. I did find Raybestos that have something like that. Fronts are PGD450M. Rears are 583PG. They have rotors and drums also. And there's a advanced technology series also.
Wagner has a severe duty too. No part number yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have access to Centric products, I have had years of good experience with their HD "posi-quiet" line. no noise, low dusting, and reasonable rotor consumption are all plusses in my book.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll look those up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
problem is they are not avail through retail sources. an installer or w/d can sell it. as a result, you're not paying for marketing and that's huge. I worked for a W/D a friend owned years ago and he gave me access to buy the stuff I repped. Still have access :D
http://www.centricparts.com/

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I'll take a look.
Right now I'm not worried about pad life. Now rotor life on the other hand..... being a dually I don't want to mess with those very often. Lol

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Something else came to mind: drum brake hardware. When I did my rears a few years ago I used all new hardware from autozone. Things didn't last but a few weeks, months maybe. Both self adjuster cables pulled out of the crimp, other pieces just fell off. Etc.
I'm tired of having to adjust my brakes every few weeks because the passenger side adjuster keeps backing off. Lol
Is there a better brand?

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Something else came to mind: drum brake hardware. When I did my rears a few years ago I used all new hardware from autozone. Things didn't last but a few weeks, months maybe. Both self adjuster cables pulled out of the crimp, other pieces just fell off. Etc.
I'm tired of having to adjust my brakes every few weeks because the passenger side adjuster keeps backing off. Lol
Is there a better brand?

No help on best brand we just had to do the same thing on the dodge
got new hardware from AutoZone lasted a month second kit was from Oreilys I think.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I was thinking of trying there, or try to order online if I can maybe find motorcraft. I'm sure it's all coming from China though.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
K I found out I can get EBC yellow stuff for my F350 or Dana 60 axle...

Anyone have anything to say about these

Looking for ass kicking rotors too....but...ya Canada..

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
K I found out I can get EBC yellow stuff for my F350 or Dana 60 axle...

Anyone have anything to say about these

Looking for ass kicking rotors too....but...ya Canada..

Ive got the yellows, seem to work just fine. I got some slotted rotors to go with them. They keep braking just fine when heated up. Havent noticed much squeaking really. I had the green ones previously, they seemed to squeak more for some reason. Dont get tranny fluid all over them though, dont work good then i found out.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't use ceramics - likely to eat rotors since they're so hard. Harder pads will last longer themselves, but will also wear the rotor more. Personally, I'd rather do pads more often and save the rotors.

Wish I knew what my pads were - They're probably somewhere close to 100k miles and still have good pad left. They came with the new calipers I got off ebay, so no telling what they are unfortunately. Probably some sort of banned asbestos fiber pads or something LOL

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You folks have NOooooooo idea how good you ha e it.

Lordco partz 60 - 135 set depending on grade
Napa locally 41 -150 depending on grade
Ford 85 set

Drive 40 min...cross border to Oroville WA

US NAPA 25ish - 47 *****

Guess where my dolla gunna go....AGAIN...

As for rotors I may have a few good serviceable used ones in stock...just maybe 6 - 8 of em...

Horder lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online