Medium duty general info / buyers guide.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
I am thinking about moving into the medium duty range. I currently have a 88' F-250 4x4 7.3 IDI. I want 4x4 and diesel no matter what. I am a Ford person but that could be swayed a bit. I am just fine with mechanical stuff and I have a diesel specialty shop for anything I cant do. What trucks should I be looking for? What things should I watch out for? I would essentially turn it into a large pickup. Thanks in advance for any info.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F-600, F-700, F-800, and F-900 if over 30,000GVW is desired. Many of those trucks that were built for things like 'tree services' and 'forestry' and that were already built with the 4-wheel drive. Thing about those trucks is that depending on how long the wheelbase is, you could make a MONSTER pick-u wit like six doors and two FULL Ex-cab 'quarter window' sets. :sly

teletech

Reaction score
Yeah, it's not a fresh thread, but what the heck.

The ford F6/7/8/900 trucks are pretty nice, but I'd stay away from the Detroit motor and any non-airbrake truck so finding one in 4x4 might cost you some money.
You don't say what you want it for?

If you want some real adventure and all-wheel drive, why stop at just 4x4 and not go 6x6 or 10x10?
Surplus military trucks are slow and uncomfortable, but very cool.
Lots of M44 based trucks out in the world and the deuce is a cool diesel since it's a hypercycle (multifuel) engine.
If you want a newer truck, the M35A3 has a new CAT motor, or you can go bigger... a LOT bigger if you want. I just looked at a tank transporter that was rater to tow 120,000Lbs and sold for under $10K

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's not a fresh thread, but what the heck.

The ford F6/7/8/900 trucks are pretty nice, but I'd stay away from the Detroit motor and any non-airbrake truck so finding one in 4x4 might cost you some money.
You don't say what you want it for?

If you want some real adventure and all-wheel drive, why stop at just 4x4 and not go 6x6 or 10x10?
Surplus military trucks are slow and uncomfortable, but very cool.
Lots of M44 based trucks out in the world and the deuce is a cool diesel since it's a hypercycle (multifuel) engine.
If you want a newer truck, the M35A3 has a new CAT motor, or you can go bigger... a LOT bigger if you want. I just looked at a tank transporter that was rater to tow 120,000Lbs and sold for under $10K
good luck getting a kali title for the late ex-military stuff. CARB will never let it happen unless you are running "historical" plates. but with that, you are restricted on mileage and must be over 30 years old.

teletech

Reaction score
That's partly why I suggested the M44/M35 series, it's all plenty old for historic plates.
I notice the OP is a very long way from the left coast, so he has lots of options. Lots of nice trucks being sold out of CA.

Regarding the CA issue:
I do wonder how much ice those "this engine is exempt from the clean air act" decals on the multifuels would cut.
I gather the inspectors are looking for commercial guys and not likely to bother someone with an obviously non-commercial "toy"
I know the intent was to cut emissions but by forcing the trucks out of state it seems like they just move the emissions elsewhere compared to just adding reasonable upgrade equipment, but I don't make policy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online