Hello from the So. Willamette Valley

Pork_Chop50

He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a love and fascination with horsepower and old vehicles. And horsepower in any form, be it a hit and miss engine running an ice cream crank or three jet turbines hooked to a pulling sled and anything in between. I'm a grass seed farmer with my family, along with raising and shearing sheep. Beyond that my wife and our three girls tend to dominate my life, but in a good way.:D

I have more vehicle projects than time and money, but my main focus is on a 1994 F-350 IDIT 4x4 CC SRW LB, and a 1971 F-250 4x4 CC.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't say.. And just how far down there are you? Will you be at the Diesel Drags tomorrow? Welcome to the greatest show on earth. :)

Pork_Chop50

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live down at exit 216 on I5, just north of Eugene. Unfortunately no I won't be at the diesel drags as we are in the midst of harvest so I won't be leaving the farm for the next 14 weeks.

oztinker47

Reaction score
I've been buying Humbolt Sta Mix grass seed from a company out of Cheshire Oregon, it's what keeps my 40 acres of landslide out of the river, wonder if it came from your farm? It's good stuff and I buy it when I can find it.

Pork_Chop50

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been buying Humbolt Sta Mix grass seed from a company out of Cheshire Oregon, it's what keeps my 40 acres of landslide out of the river, wonder if it came from your farm?

It's possible that the seed came from our place, but there are thousands of acres producing grass around here. The only way to know for certain where it came from is the analysis label on the box or bag you purchased and with the lot #'s I could figure out which farm, or at least the county, the seeds came from. I'm sure there are many here who aren't interested in hearing the boring details of grass seed farming, but for those who do I'm happy to answer questions.

oztinker47

Reaction score
Looked at the sack of grass seed , there's no information other than the brand name, "Irwin's blue ribbon seed" I have a bit of a fascination with agriculture so I'm curious how a grass seed farm works. I see in your signature you have two of the best farm trucks ever made, the idi Ford is a good investment that should last a long time

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta love those '71s. My dad and I have an F250 4x2, soon to be gone most likely, but the damn thing will not break down LOL

Pork_Chop50

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our farm at one one time was very Blue Oval heavy, and we still have a healthy mix though some have been replaced or upgraded. My IDI was actually bought new by my dad, and when he bought a 2006 Mega Cab new I bought his IDI. I do have a preference for Ford, but I don't try to tell anyone about brand superiority.

As for a grass seed farm, they work a bit differently than the grain farms of the mid-west. We plant most of our crop in the fall, though some do spring plant. Spraying and fertilizing are similar and timed the same as most other agriculture. Our harvest require the fields to first be cut into rows (windrowers) and dry down until the seed is under 12% moisture, then combines come in and thrash our the seed from the chaff. After that we clean our seed through a warehouse or mill, that uses several different machines to sort the weed seed, dirt, straw, and everything else out leaving pure seed to bag and ship around the globe. That is the quick and dirty version, there is more detail along the way.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Woodburn Dragstrip typically holds two truck events each year. The NHRDA Drags for diesels, which usually includes a pulling contest, and the Truck drags, for anything and everything. Usually the Big Rigs AND the diesels show up for that one. It's coming up first part of next month.

damedic

Is That Black Smoke
Reaction score
Thanks "jrad",

Do you think I can Google that for more specific info? I will try and see.
Have been wanting to check something out like that for a long time.
I think my son will enjoy coming with me.
Now to Google Woodburn Dragstrip Diesel ;Sweet

Have a great day all.