Carnage for the evening...

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any guesses as to what this is? Bonus points if you can tell me why it happened because I have no idea.

You must be registered for see images attach

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what is left of one. Here is I'm guessing on of the missing shoes from that side.

I have no idea what could have caused this but I have a pretty good idea why there was no hardware in that drum now that I've had it apart.

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
most common reason i see that happening on any truck is the brake shoe becomes unglued from the backing its rivited to, and breaks apart, knocks springs and retaining nails loose etc. and jams up in areas it shouldnt be, this case the adjuster took the brute of the damages.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on what I see, is say you are probably right. Thanks for the diagnosis.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well I was thinking this was brake adjuster parts too but little late getting that in. Now if the rivets were worn off I would suggest the shoes wore out and then the adjusters opened too far and fell apart. But thats a wag at best..

The Bus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks likes pads that were overheated and crystallized. Once they are "cooked" they loose their ability to flex with braking and literally crumble or shatter like glass on hard braking. I've seen pads that had cracked/shattered, but did not come completely off, there were still some pieces left. LOL

I almost forgot, thanks for the post, pics, and follow up. Can't do much today and I have really learned a lot reading your post.

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why I do it. I've learned a lot from others here and now hopefully others can learn from my successes and failures.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88