a/c Help R-12 replacement?

uncle

Reaction score
I have an 89 F350CCLB that still has R-12, but not enough. I'm going to replace the expansion valve and dryer.
I have FREEZE-12 and R134A. Which one should I use and how much?
Is one better than the other?

Brian

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Freeze12 is an illegal blend. A shop cant work on a car with it in it. R134 works great in our trucks

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would just do a conversion to 134a, its allot easier to get and have serviced, technically your suppose to be MACS certified to purchase and service R-12 systems

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When we convert our trucks (or anything) to R-134a, we have to have the vacuum pulled so that they will hold the right amount of refrigerant and not lock the compressor up from too much pressure, right?!?! Does anyone know where we can get all new seals and basic parts for these trucks? My pump has been off for three years due to a motor swap and figure new seals, orifice tube, etc may as well be installed.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I did to convert mine, was open up a line and suck out what was in there, then refill with R134 that has whatever the proper kind of oil is already in it. I didn't use a scale or anything. Just a line set and watched the gauges.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Many ac shops around the country can sell compressor parts, sels or a complete compressor. For me the shop I found was located in Arizona but have forgotten the name. Will try to find it. Here in my local area I use AAPAC because they are a complete parts store for ac stuff.. You can get a license to buy R12 online easily. I think its called IMPC or something close to that.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I found the company I got my license from. Its called IMAC. Look them up online. What you do is read the material and take the test online. I think the fee was $15.00... Once you pass you get a certificate in the mail with your card license and number required to buy R12. Ebay is where I buy my 1 lb cans of the R12. I had nearly 40 lbs of it some time back. Buy a 2 gauge manifold and make your own vacuum pump. Find a broken refrigerator and remove the black pot compressor. Run the unit to find the suction and discharge sides of it. Soldier or silver soldier on the required fittings and suck away your system. Any cold water fountain or refer has this vacuum-compressor pump in it. Thats the pot looting thing that pumps the freon thru the cooling system. A used refer shop has these on the shelf for about $25.00 or find one that was dumped on the road or local trash dump site.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You probably don't have any R12 left in the system or very little, just bleed off what's in there and recharge it with 134A. With the engine running and the AC on Max and Hi fan, charge it until the low side line coming out the firewall starts to frost, then bleed off enough gas so the frost disappears, should be good to go. Buy three 12 Oz. cans. Get one can with oil in it.

uncle

Reaction score
I have the Freeze 12 and I have a case of 134A. I'm replacing my receiver drier because of age and for $20 I'm replacing the expansion valve, and I have plenty of the correct oil.
Is there any reason to use 134a over Freeze 12 of vice-verse?

Brian

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As already posted... Using Freeze 12 will ruin your system for any shop to work on it ever again. Heres the deal with freeze12. Its a mix of different gas and no shop can evacuate your system because it will contaminate their recovery tanks. You want to see a shop get angry and throw you to the curb go ahead and do the freeze12. Not believing me. Ok.. I'm not the person you need to listen too but please.. Go ask an ac shop about mixing freons like I think your asking about. For many here in the know.. Its 134 or R12. Really no other choice at this time. There is some new stuff about to break out on the scene but not going to talk about that now. It will just add more fat to the fire.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You probably don't have any R12 left in the system or very little, just bleed off what's in there and recharge it with 134A. With the engine running and the AC on Max and Hi fan, charge it until the low side line coming out the firewall starts to frost, then bleed off enough gas so the frost disappears, should be good to go. Buy three 12 Oz. cans. Get one can with oil in it.

You need to vacuum it down and do a leak check before charging it...

uncle

Reaction score
icanfixall...thanks for the words of caution. I have never used a shop for my work. If the 134A will do the same thing as the freeze 12, I might as well use the 134A. I didn't know about the thermo properties of the freeze 12 compared to the 134A. That was really what I was asking.
Brian