6.2L No Compression on #3 engine still starts and runs

askika

Reaction score
New here... purchased a 93 step-van from a relative a few months back. It is an ex-military van with only 20k on the speedo. The van was running fine for a few weeks... it was a little hard to start, but once running, ran like a champ. One day that I went for a drive, the van started smoking pretty hard out of drivers side exhaust and I noticed it was low on power.. did not go over 45mph. I limped the van home and tried changing the oil and tried some fuel additives... etc.. No help. The exhaust pipe seems to get wet.. like it is spitting diesel out in the exhaust... Took the van to a local diesel shop to take a look at it and after it sat there for a month :)mad:) They did a compression test and found that #3 had 0 compression.. but the engine still runs... they told me that they attached the gauge and let it run for a while... they did not want to have anything to do with repairing it...
so I have it home and my dad and I did the "old school listen to the engine with a broom handle while it is running" and we do not hear anything odd... sounds smoothish..
so this thing is not easy to access... and I have been told to pull the DS valve cover and take a look to see if I have any obvious issues in the valve train.. and possibly find a bore scope and see if I can see the top of the piston to see if she has a hole...
With such low mileage, I though this thing would be a champ for a few years, now I am not so sure...

Anyone have any ideas? Any shade tree tricks to try?
Thanks!
Askika

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Have you used starting fluid?
The wetness is raw fuel, since that cylinder isn't firing. It'll dilute your oil if you keep running it like that.
Pulling the valve cover is a good start.
Pm sent your way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk