Cali Emissions? It gets worse...

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
What's with these new laws in CA? I don't quite understand...

If I infer correctly, any trucks over 14,000lbs GVWR need to have a DPF?

BTW, this ain't bad enough. The EPA is working on regulations for the future that will force anyone who does an engine swap, rebuilds their engine, or replaces it with a stock replacement to meet stricter emissions regulations, so far it doesn't seem to me that it will be 2014 but it's own sort of set of regulations. They are working on developing a so-called "drop-on" system. This DOES apply to the old diesels, regardless of GVWR IF it goes into effect - I don't see it in the next two or three years, but knowing politics it's only a matter of time the way things are going IMO. The downside is - it's expensive. They propose the system will cost $4,000, and adds electronic injection, DEF, and DPF. How they plan to pull that off, IDK. They are definately experimenting with it, and IMO they just want all the old stuff off of the roads - and they're gonna try to find some way or another to knock them off of the road.

Whadya all think?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The EPA is working on regulations for the future that will force anyone who does an engine swap, rebuilds their engine, or replaces it with a stock replacement to meet stricter emissions regulations, so far it doesn't seem to me that it will be 2014 but it's own sort of set of regulations. They are working on developing a so-called "drop-on" system. This DOES apply to the old diesels, regardless of GVWR IF it goes into effect - I don't see it in the next two or three years, but knowing politics it's only a matter of time the way things are going IMO. The downside is - it's expensive. They propose the system will cost $4,000, and adds electronic injection, DEF, and DPF. How they plan to pull that off, IDK. They are definately experimenting with it, and IMO they just want all the old stuff off of the roads - and they're gonna try to find some way or another to knock them off of the road.
If this is true, it's beyond ridiculous (as if the CARB Gestapo hadn't gone too far already). If they want to require new vehicles to meet specific guidelines, that's one thing, but forcing older vehicles to meet standards that did not exist when they were built is taking things way too far. And, this is coming from someone who's well to the political left of most of this board.

Where'd you get this info from? Do you have any links with this info?

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
It IS true that they want to - whether they will get away with it or not is a different story.

I originally was told months ago by several friends of mine, and I was pretty skeptical. This year as I was researching diesel emissions standards for an engine project I am working on, I came across the EPA Clean Diesel Campaign website. If you notice they talk all over the website about it being voluntary, or making it seem like it is voluntary. I haven't been able to find the PDFs that point pretty directly towards them wanting it mandatory tonight as I've got a nasty cold and headache and can't think half straight...

http://www.epa.gov/cleandiesel/

Here you can see the cost of retrofitting:

http://www.epa.gov/cleandiesel/technologies/retrofits.htm

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It IS true that they want to - whether they will get away with it or not is a different story.

I originally was told months ago by several friends of mine, and I was pretty skeptical. This year as I was researching diesel emissions standards for an engine project I am working on, I came across the EPA Clean Diesel Campaign website. If you notice they talk all over the website about it being voluntary, or making it seem like it is voluntary. I haven't been able to find the PDFs that point pretty directly towards them wanting it mandatory tonight as I've got a nasty cold and headache and can't think half straight...

http://www.epa.gov/cleandiesel/

Here you can see the cost of retrofitting:

http://www.epa.gov/cleandiesel/technologies/retrofits.htm
those links are for EPA regs on native indian tribal lands.
click on the link in my sig line for the kali nightmare.

Turbo OM617

Reaction score
Its great. Old engines produce 90% of the pollution. Something has to be done to either make them run cleaner or force them off the road.

I, for example, am NOT required to meet these new emissions laws driving a light-duty vehicle outside of Kalifornia. I already tune my engine to run very clean at less than 5% opacity in my annual emissions tests. However, I still added an oxidation catalyst to my exhaust in place of a muffler.
It helps reduce emissions with no penalty in power, weight or noise over the muffler it replaced. Total cost was less than $150!

Passive DPF systems are very reliable. They have none of the drawbacks of regeneration associated with active DPF systems (added engine heat, oil dilution).
All that is required is a pressure monitor that turns on a dash light when the DPF's ash level reaches a set restriction level. At that point, its as simple as removing the filter and washing out the ash using a pressure washer.

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
And who wants to bother removing the DPF filter and washing it out? I mean, IF we HAD to do it, it's not TERRIBLE, but really, if you use your truck an awful lot, it creates additional downtime.

Oh, and maybe you could post some links/pics...

Oh, and ever hear of those toxic ash ponds? Yeah, much the same thing. ASH is different than ROLLING COAL.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets try....not working from I fail phone,,,,
You must be registered for see images attach

honestly commiefornia and carb dont care about the little guys.

Last edited:

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Passive DPF systems are very reliable. They have none of the drawbacks of regeneration associated with active DPF systems (added engine heat, oil dilution).
All that is required is a pressure monitor that turns on a dash light when the DPF's ash level reaches a set restriction level. At that point, its as simple as removing the filter and washing out the ash using a pressure washer.

I think you need to do a little more research...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's the latest of ironic twists.....
the current law (AB1085 passed 2009, enacted 2010) is set to go into motion Jan 1, 2015.
all commercial trucks 14.001lbs and up that are diesel powered, from model year 1994 and older, no longer can be operated Jan 1, 2015 on Kali roads. fines for doing so, run $2500/day.
NOW THE CATCH....... CA DMV has yet to suspend registrations on said vehicles...yes that's right, the DMV is still collecting fees on said trucks. Here's the next catch.....CA CHP refuses to enforce the new law due to the lack of funding to do so and the lack of manpower allocated for enforcement checking out if the truck is illegal or not. Gov Brown has always been for the small businessman but he didn' kill the bill but he's not funding it either.

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
You know, it's 100% dumb to try to get old trucks off the road. Seriously... Even if it's just the ones used for commercial purposes. They ain't got no right to be barging in on stuff like that.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^Forcing an entire group of vehicles off the road like that can not be constitutional. That's insane.

'Hey bob, know that truck you use to feed your family; throw it in the garbage cause some rich a******* in the govt think a Prius is somehow better (ps: it's not)'

As an east coast guy, I had no idea it had gotten this bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
In all seriousness, if truck owners would just step up and say NO, it would end mighty quick. I would think it safe to say that MOST truck owners do NOT like the EPA and CaliFornicator crap that they are pulling it off.

Edit: Hell, if I get people to back me I'll spearhed it.