1984 toyota extended cab 4x4 diesel swap.

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had this truck for some time. Just sitting now, want to do a diesel swap but must be able to burn WMO. I looked at the 4bt, found a Kubota 4 cylinder I am looking over. Anyhow what are your thoughts? good transplant motor for this rig? Needs to be able to bolt to a manual trans, relatively cheap swap, and able to burn WMO. Whatcha got?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Kubota V2203 DI, turbo. Turned up they can put out close to 100hp at the wheels, but pushing 300ft lbs. 4bt is to heavy. Other option would be a VW TDI

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at the kubotas, but I don't think that is gonna have the numbers I am looking for.

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a 2.2 litre Isuzu diesel motor into a 92 4-runner and it gets 47 mpg. lots of modifying to make it work. Is your truck a 4x4 or a 2x4. It makes a big difference in doing the swap. Mine was a 4x4 and the biggest obstacle was customizing the oil pan to fit around the front diff. I ended up cutting the 3.0 pan and welding it to the Isuzu pan to make it fit the way the oil pan is molded around the front diff. But it runs great, I need to re-ring the engine as it has a lot of blow by and I cant keep oil in it, and it knocked the seals out of the turbo. I would personaly reccomend the d-50 turbo diesel motor for a swap. lots of power and light weight.