is an sct or H&S tuner safe for daily driver?

stroke>bore

Reaction score
I have an 05 6.0 and I want more power and a trailer towing mode and maybe some better economy. My question is has anybody blown a head gasket with one of these 2 puppies turned up. Also I just installed a 4" flopro exhaust. And will these chips affect my tranny internally?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yes tunes have caused blown head gaskets. Stay away from canned tunes (aka the ones you can buy from EDGE, hypertech, the ones that just come pre programed on SCT's and H&S's). Get yourself a SCT tuner with custom tunes, these are tunes created by tuners that are more customized to your vehicle. If you dont have studs, there are head stud safe tunes. Custom tunes are generally easier on the trans as well, as they are more aggressive with their trans tune files (firmer shifts, better lock up, etc).

I'm running Matt at Gearhead performance's SRL tune. Its stands for "Street Race Light," its a great daily driver tune, puts out a proven 400-420hp at the wheels, and is a non head stud safe tune.

You can usually get a tuner for $250-300 and custom tunes from $50-100 (I think Matt sells 3 tunes, SRL, 8K tow, and unlimited tow for like $75, you load them onto the SCT and then load them onto the truck).