How do you ever replace the glow plugs under the turbo?

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I bet they have NEVER been changed. I pulled the other 6, and found one bad. I replaced that one with a Beru. One of the "good" ones is an Autolight, so I put that in the front hole on the driver's side, so I can get to it easily to replace that one.
I know I have 6 good plugs, and 2 unknown.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I bet they have NEVER been changed. I pulled the other 6, and found one bad. I replaced that one with a Beru. One of the "good" ones is an Autolight, so I put that in the front hole on the driver's side, so I can get to it easily to replace that one.
I know I have 6 good plugs, and 2 unknown.

Remove the turbo?

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only worked on a truck with the ATS style 093 turbo system. But what I was able to do was I took a deep well 10mm socket and ground it down until the socket bottom stopped at the bottom of the hex when a glow plug was inserted in it. Basically made a mid length socket. I've then been able to use a 1/4" ratchet with an extension and swivel to remove the glow plug. Luckily I've never met a really stubborn glow plug yet.

I've also read about someone who bought two ratchet wrenches from harbor freight and bent them to fit in there. One ratchet for removal and one ratchet for installation.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've done several of these and never had to make a tool. All sockets, extensions and swivels are 1/4" drive. Air box needs to come off, as does turbo heat sheilds if so equipped. Get to #7 by coming in with a long extension from behind the turbo. #5 you can get directly.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what its worth on my ATS 088, which sits square on the rear of the motor, my #7 GP is under it.
I've used a small open end wrench and turn it about 1/16 of turn until its out.
Get in a comfy position and be patient.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sometimes its a horrible mess to get that hidden plug out. Going back in use a piece of rubber tubing that fits well over the end of the plug. It will act like a flexiable joint installer you can turn in any direction bending around all kinds of things.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
"Patience" is not very high on my personal tools list at the present time.
Maybe I'll get back to them before the Rally. OR----does anyone want to do a "demonstration" of how to remove them????

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a long 1/4" extension with a universal and a 10mm deep socket.

Don't forget the antiseize during reassembly.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Sometimes its a horrible mess to get that hidden plug out. Going back in use a piece of rubber tubing that fits well over the end of the plug. It will act like a flexiable joint installer you can turn in any direction bending around all kinds of things.

That has always worked well for me.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I learned the rubber hose trick years ago on my 454 engine. Because of the heat shields it nearly impssible to reach in and install or remove the spark plugs. Found a piece of rubber hose. fitted it to the plug and it worked great.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I am well aware of the rubber hose--used it for spark plugs many years ago.
I'll have to apply some of that "patience:.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88