any ideas for beefing up rear suspension?

Kistthesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking into making my '85 F250 heavier duty, can I just add leafs to the rear suspension or should I look around for F350 swaps? Any info is appreciated!

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
How heavy do you want? The trucks already are underrated by a lot. I have had 13,000 in the bed with no ill effects except a few wheelies going over bumps.

These trucks also ride pretty stiff unless loaded, so putting more leaves only exacerbates that.

Kistthesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just figured more weight back there wouldn't hurt since the front end is so much heavier, I loaded the bed with concrete blocks this winter & I still slid around! I assume you mean 1,300lbs not 13,000?

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. Probably 13,000, as Ive had 4k of river gravel in my bed. All that did was make it ride more cadillac-like

gandalf

Reaction score
Tell us what it is that you're wanting to do with your truck. Perhaps then we can be a bit more specific with help.

You have an F-250. No matter what you do to the rear suspension it will still be an F-250, and registered as an F-250, with an F-250 load limit, regardless of it's upgraded ability. I believe there is more than the rear suspension which goes into making it an F-250.

I have an F-250HD which I used to haul a big old cabover camper. The weight of the camper dropped the rear end several inches, and it swayed enough to make me nervous and uncomfortable. I considered it marginal on safety. I added a pair of Helwig 2500 pound overload springs to the rear. It rode level with the camper, and swayed less, but still swayed some. BUT, I still had an F-250, and was legally limited to an F-250's weight specifications. Without the weight of the camper in the rear, that truck rode like a proverbially truck. The rear end was very stiff.

I ultimately solved that problem by getting and F-350 Dually. It handles the weight of the camper so much better it's unbelievable.

jay_t

Reaction score
If these trucks are under rated or larger springs get put on, how to you get the "rating" changed on the truck? Say the f350 springs go on, how to you get the door sticker changed sp everything is legit?

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If these trucks are under rated or larger springs get put on, how to you get the "rating" changed on the truck? Say the f350 springs go on, how to you get the door sticker changed sp everything is legit?

Only a licensed coach builder or similar can change the weight rating.

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you are trying to increase the load carrying ability of your truck to carry more weight to counter the effects of slippery winter driving, you are going in the wrong direction.
the stiffer springs make the truck have lees suspention travel and the more weight you put in the bed makes the suspention thats already hash, move less and the weight make the truck slip more, less traction. if you need more load carrying ability sometimes then put a set of air bags on the rear, control the load with air presure when you need it, for better traction in the winter let the air down in the tires and lear to drive with an egg under the throttle, easy acceleration and braking, slow movements of the steering wheel.

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Legality aside I favor the idea of mounting the F350 overload springs, if they can be mounted. That seems like a good solution because it doesn't interfere with unladen handling

Kistthesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it's actually the stiffness of the springs, not the difference in weight between the front & rear? Would I benefit even more with both front & rear air bags? Anyone have a good source for them? Thx!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online

Members online