Anyone blend with E85?

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think Amish wolfman (Chris) did at one time.
I think it worked ok, I always thought the extra ethonal might "soak" up the extra moisture in any fuel???
See if he responds

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
E-85??as in corn'gas?
If so i need to go a reading in alt fuels section

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried it once with the same thought that it would soak up any moisture, but I found that it would settle out of the oil. I had clear hoses and filter housings and I could see the ethanol settle to the bottom. I didnt like the idea of the chance of running straight gas or alochol through the engine so I never attempted to run more.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done it with no issue but stale old boat gas is usually way cheaper for me lately

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh the benefits of living near the water... lol.

I need to search out the local marinas for stale gas as my diesoline is drying up.... E85 was my next choice if I had to buy..

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere that ethanol was really bad, but I could be wrong. I do know, by the laws of chemistry, that alcohol and water are soluble. So, by nature, if you have any moisture in your oil, the ethanol will be sought out by the polar water molecule and the two will dissolve and separate from the oil blend by creating a heavier molecule or compound. This could create a good scenario in a settling drum and a bad one at any point after.

Armo

Reaction score
Havent played with e85 but most stations hear sell 10% tops. Ive used 10% for thinning with out any ill effect or any noted seperation. That being said id still be cautious to use e85, alcohol drys out fuel even in gas engines they noted that anything over 15% ethanol dried out the upper cylinder and lead to notable wear. Its known that alcohol causes the injection pumps in diesels to wear prematurely. This is why some people check if their fuel additives are alcohol free. Outside of this we are adding wmo how much this is preventing any ill effects of alcohol isnt known but it is known wmo does add some lubricity to the fuel.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres a thought for those of us that have a turbo and/or pyrometer.
Run a tank of wmo/RUG mix without ethanol, watch the temps, etc.
Then run a tank of wmo/RUG with some ethanol (10% most likely) and watch temps again, see if theres any difference.:dunno Whadda think????:dunno

I know in sprint car racing, where they use 100% ethanol type fuel, the fuel actually helps cool the engine.
So we'll see what happens....:dunno

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
I already blend with the standard 10% ethanol rug. That's all I can get in my town. I had to replace the rubber olive seals on my hard lines within 100 gallons of w85. I attribute that to the ethanol eating them away (they weren't new or in good shape, but it made them very hard and brittle very fast). So I replaced them with Viton ones.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If u think about it... blending with e85 and making w80... 15ish % ethanol for the batch.... I wouldn't see it causing any significant issues...

Sent from a pay phone... using Tapatalk v2.0