newbie just bought a diesel, pics, I would love some advice.

Matt537

Reaction score
Hey everybody, my name is Anthony and my biz partner and I just bought a diesel, my first diesel. I have been doing autobody and mechanical work for 15 yrs, both as a hobby and career. I have never worked on diesels but know how they work (basically an intentional detonation) I love to learn and am supper excited about owning a diesel and working on it. We are using it to haul cars, with twin axle trailer, 7k lbs.

We bought a 1990 F350 dually, crew cab, 2wd, with a 7.3L and an aftermarket Banks turbo. 157k original miles. Has a rebuilt auto trans.
We paid $3000 for it, super clean inside and out.

Again I have a good knowledge of mechanics, (rebuilt many engines, done hundreds of cv axles, suspension, engine swaps, timing belts, electrical, and bodywork as a career) but absolutely nothing on diesels. I have no clue, and look forward to all of your knowledge on diesels and how to maintain, work on, and tricks/querks.

I have read that I need to put SCA in to stop cavitaion, (only 157k so shouln't have gotten bad yet) (I asked the seller if he added SCAs, he had no clue)
(he told me it only had 1 glowplug and pointed to a sensor on the exhaust (FRT left,) and said it was the glowplug) I believd him until I did some research.

We have put 2 new batteries in it and starts and runs great, when warm.

It was below freezing all day and over night, plugged block heater in for 1 hr, wouldn't start, (seller said he has to spray starting fluid in it sometimes to get it to start.)

Please give me all the advice you can on all aspects of this truck, as we would love to own and drive for years and years to come. We will be doing thousand mile trips once we are sure it is reliable.

Thank you all in advance, and happy to be part of an oil burnin community!!! here are some pics

Attachments

• IMAG0696.jpg
    IMAG0696.jpg
    698.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMAG0697.jpg
    IMAG0697.jpg
    655.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMAG0698.jpg
    IMAG0698.jpg
    660.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMAG0699.jpg
    IMAG0699.jpg
    780.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMAG0700.jpg
    IMAG0700.jpg
    786.7 KB · Views: 15

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Welcome.
1 hour isn't enough time for the block heater to work. Usually need at least a few hours. More the colder it gets.
That mileage is enough for cavitation to take a toll. Get some sca in there ASAP. Fleet charge coolant is great.
You most likely need all new glowplugs. Beru seem to be the best.
Get a picture of that sensor he said was a glowplug. I'm curious.
Try not to use ether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt537

Reaction score
A few more questions before I forget,
Is it typical for it not to start with slightly discharged batteries (he left the lights on for about 20 min) and cold (15-20 deg for 24hrs plus) and only plugged block heater in for an hr before trying to start?

Seller said he needed to pump throttle a bunch as cranking, as a normal starting procedure..
I put two new batteries in, pumped like normal and I think I flooded it. Held full throttle and cranked a few times, then it started.

Is there 8 glowplugs? how many are necessary, how to know which are bad, what should used/bad ones look like? I replaced front left one, it had black oil on it, .. normal?

where, and what kind of SCA to get,.. local auto parts store?

I was told this was N.A. from factory and turbo added at a later date, anything to check, beware of etc?

Fuel additives and longevity of Injector pump, signs of it going out.

Sorry for 20 Q.. want to learn.. thanks.

(u like my explanation of a diesel,.. "detonation on purpose" lol.

Thanks Jasper for the reply, I will get a pic of his so-called single glowplug.. lol.

1995voyagerES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are 8 glowplugs and you should change them all. Use only the Motorcraft ZD-9 (Beru).
If some of the glowplugs are bad I think the glowplug relay should click rapidly (but I'm not 100% sure on that).

You can't flood a diesel ;-)
Normal starting procedure would be: Turn ignition key on, press gas pedal to the floor one time and let go (to activate the high idle), wait for the glowplug light to go out and then crank it.

You should avoid starting fluid on a diesel !!!!!!!
Could crack pistons and other things.

btw: the sensor on the exhaust could be a pyrometer from the banks setup.

JosieGallows

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are 8 glowplugs and you should change them all. Use only the Motorcraft ZD-9 (Beru).
If some of the glowplugs are bad I think the glowplug relay should click rapidly (but I'm not 100% sure on that).

You can't flood a diesel ;-)
Normal starting procedure would be: Turn ignition key on, press gas pedal to the floor one time and let go (to activate the high idle), wait for the glowplug light to go out and then crank it.

You should avoid starting fluid on a diesel !!!!!!!
Could crack pistons and other things.

btw: the sensor on the exhaust could be a pyrometer from the banks setup.

My pistons have very small hairline cracks in them. Previous owner used ether would be my guess why.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online