Need a new motor

testlight

Reaction score
So where should I go to get a new 6.5? Or are these motors just crap? Am I wasting my time with it, is there any other motor that will swap in pretty easy. I have the 4le8 auto and a stand alone controller is not a big deal.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
What's wrong with yours?
Obviously they don't make as much power as the other diesels, but get good mileage and still tow good.
You can get a newer better block. I think it's a optimizer block, iirc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

testlight

Reaction score
It blew a head gasket, took it apart, almost every cylinder in both heads it cracked up, between the valves, into the valve seat. and two scratches, maybe cracks in the cylinder walls. Put it all together just so I can drive it to our next place when I move and tear it down and change motors when I get the chance. 222K and lots of blow-by.

Right now it runs great, starts OK even with new GPs. I haven't ran it long enough to be sure if it still has compression getting into the coolant like before. It is deff better, but maybe not fixed. I want something I can send my wife on long trips with our little girl in and not worry about it blowing up because she passed someone up a hill with the A/C on. I don't tow more than once or twice a year, but soon it will be the only rig I have that has a hitch.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Military surplus is going to be your best bet at getting the new high-nickel block cast by Navistar, but shipping will not be friendly.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I want something I can send my wife on long trips with our little girl in and not worry about it blowing up because she passed someone up a hill with the A/C on.

Not sure on the 6.5, but based on my experience with the 6.2...this is not the motor for that. These things overheat if you breathe on em.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Not sure on the 6.5, but based on my experience with the 6.2...this is not the motor for that. These things overheat if you breathe on em.

6.5's have a much better water pump on them, with an extra 30 GPH. Technically any of the 6.2's with the serpentine setup have the same pump, since it's opposite rotation from a v-belt pump.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never had these overheat issues on a 6.2L or a 6.5L.

Teds military surplus is a good source os new-lightly used Navistar cast 6.5L's for $2500. There is some converting to do but pretty simple.