glow plug relay help

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok got most of the harness in and have a question on the glow plug relay.

first does anyone have a link to the glow plug test thread, i can never find it.

second the relay cycles fine, but it keeps cycling for quite a while. its 40 degrees out and it cycled for 15 seconds before i shut it all off.

i dont remember how long it needs to cycle, also it cycles after the engine turns over and the key returns from the run position.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Total contol over the glow plugs on your truck, not putting faith in almost three decade old controllers.

Scenario: one plug or more fails:
Manual system: no problem, just a little rougher start (depending on how many burnout)
Controller: clickclickclickclickclick and a much harder time starting...

Plus no glowing when engine is already started, thats more for emissions and getting it warmer but at the cost of glow plug life...

The more complicated a system the more likely something in it can fail. Only time manual is a problem is if you cant count to seven (give or take 2 generally)

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
Total contol over the glow plugs on your truck, not putting faith in almost three decade old controllers.

Scenario: one plug or more fails:
Manual system: no problem, just a little rougher start (depending on how many burnout)
Controller: clickclickclickclickclick and a much harder time starting...

Plus no glowing when engine is already started, thats more for emissions and getting it warmer but at the cost of glow plug life...

The more complicated a system the more likely something in it can fail. Only time manual is a problem is if you cant count to seven (give or take 2 generally)

You just killed the solution for most of the people here in Kalifornia....

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks those links should help, i just got new plugs but was too lazy to replace the one under the turbo. so ill test the system first then replace it if i have to, i also have new controller and new relay

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the advantage(s) of a manual glow plug setup?

1994 Ford F250 Superduty, 2wd, 7.3L IDI, NA, E4OD

I installed it because I use my truck for my landscape/hardscape/mowing business. I run the truck for 1/2 hour, stop for an hour to mow, start and run for 15 minutes and shut down, mow for an hour. That is happening for 10+ hours a day. Trying to save unnecessary wear on batteries, gps, relay, etc etc.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks those links should help, i just got new plugs but was too lazy to replace the one under the turbo. so ill test the system first then replace it if i have to, i also have new controller and new relay

No problem, I hope they are of benefit. It takes a lot of searching sometimes to find exactly what I am looking for so I like to be able to bust out 3 or 4 links to save someone the trouble.

If you haven't removed that plug before, I was able to get it with two extensions, a swivel u joint, and a 1/4" drive ratchet. I was able to get at it from the passenger side and by feeding the extension through gap in the turbo housing alternately. Oh, and putting the hose on top of the gp and twisting helped a lot after breaking it loose.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine clicks sometimes after the truck is turned off, does that mean the gps are being cycled still?

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya i have a custom turbo setup, my turbo is big lol so that doesnt work, ill need to dig in and get it with a wrench i think, just havent yet.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought 2 gear wrench knockoffs at china freight and custom bent them for that glow plug, one to remove, one to install, the reversible ones are crap

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
russ good idea i may have to look into that.

i tested today with a test light, didnt have a helper. glow plugs light so they should be fine. i did not pull the connectors, so i will re do that soon.

the gpc cycled 45 times for a second or tow over a period of 20 seconds before i shut it off. the cycling was consistent, it did not slow down, and it did not start with a longer cycle like it should. i was going to do the tests, but this still does not seem like it is cycling correctly. from the sound of everything the plugs will not get hot. only a second or two on and about 10 off, they would cool off again before the next cycle.

how i have it hooked up the gpc wires are all correct (new controler). i have the fsv wire extended to the small hot terminal on the gpr. this is the hot terminal not the ground. now ive read the temp sensor works into the system, but cannot see how in wiring diagrams.

this has me lost everything is new by the way help!!!!!!!

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also im running the 6.9 plugs but it should not matter.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i tested today with a test light, didnt have a helper. glow plugs light so they should be fine. i did not pull the connectors, so i will re do that soon.
Glowplugs shouldn't be tested with the connectors on, the body is grounded but the tip where you connect to isnt necessarily - it is either "grounded {by conducting through the heating element into the body), or open from a burnt out heating element- this is how the glow plug test light idea works. If the glowplug is good then the connection point will conduct to ground, if it is burnt out the connection is broken and it is "open". But if you poke it at the glow plug body it will always light giving a false signal.

on again off again is a symptom of bad glow plugs or bad connections to them generally, but I don't fully understand what you described either.