non turbo IDI with Nitrous...?

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any of you guys use juice? just curious, i though about adding a dry kit to my truck once all the bugs are worked out, since im a dealer for DynoTune Nitrous.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well, I don't have any experience with any drugs on diesels, but I've researched propane.
Propane seems to be safer, and you can run it more often. Kinda like a mileage/power adder.

But here's where the kicker is.
N/A's can already produce enough fuel for the available air, propane will help a bit, but you're still adding extra fuel.
Some people use LPG to help spool up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nitrous Oxide seems like it would be smarter for N/A than propane considering the oxide part. Basically N20 enters the cylinders and the heat breaks its down and releases the oxygen molecule.

Like Jasper said, N/A already has enough fuel (Propane is a fuel adder), Nitrous would be an Air-adder

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a wet kit laying around and it crossed my mind so I did a little reading just on bottle feeding a diesel period. Gist I got was you need the fuel to go with it so I was left wondering where this extra fuel would come from on a mechanical pump.... Unless your going to run around with some flats cranked into the pump or the pump maxed on a NA having it be a smokey pig, it just doesn't seem feasible to run dry.

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from what ive read about this, the N2O is better than propane like rhkcommander said, there was also something about propane adding timing and raising EGT's, but N2O removing timing and heat partially due to the nitrogen. and yes, it would have to be dry with a smoky pig, thats what kind of holds me back.

slvrwrx

yeah, son
Reaction score
I'm currently running a dry 150 shot of nitrous. I have to launch in 4x4 otherwise it lights the tires up. Everyone that doubts it, doesn't seem to understand. I'd your truck is smoking black it's blowing unburned fuel. Spray nitrous and you will be using all the fuel. Too much is not a bad thing.

slvrwrx

yeah, son
Reaction score
Do you have a Pyro on it? What's the Temps when you do that.....sounds reasonable.
Honestly I haven't watched the Pyro while on the button, but as soon as I let off and look at the gauges I'm about 800 to 900 degrees. It's pretty much the perfect solution to boost lag from a non wastegated turbo plus the overly rich situation off idle due to the mechanical fuel pump being set too rich until the turbo spools.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
running spray in non-computerized diesels is FUN! Dry system is preferred. here is how the cycle goes:

1. turn fuel up till you have lots of black smoke
2. add nos till its all cleaned up
3. turn up fuel more till you have black smoke again
4. add more nos till its all cleaned up
5. break something
6. fix broken parts
7. go back to step one

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
running spray in non-computerized diesels is FUN! Dry system is preferred. here is how the cycle goes:

1. turn fuel up till you have lots of black smoke
2. add nos till its all cleaned up
3. turn up fuel more till you have black smoke again
4. add more nos till its all cleaned up
5. break something
6. fix broken parts
7. go back to step one

These are the instructions for the deep pocketed folks lol.
I do like the simplicity of the how to instructions.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
If you have access, why not? My truck N/A would smoke a little under WOT, so a small shot would help it burn and make more power (stock pump settings, stock engine). I say go for it.

slvrwrx

yeah, son
Reaction score
So I found the problem. It's hard to find nitrous, and if you can find it, it's about 5 bucks a lb. My bottle is 10 lbs. That's good for about 5 to 10 hits depending on the length of the shot. That goes quick and is expensive. But cool as all hell let me tell you.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I found the problem. It's hard to find nitrous, and if you can find it, it's about 5 bucks a lb. My bottle is 10 lbs. That's good for about 5 to 10 hits depending on the length of the shot. That goes quick and is expensive. But cool as all hell let me tell you.

next time im in the area, id like to check out your system.