rebuild or repair

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new to the site and a member at Fourdoorbronco.com,
I got a couple questions
I recently purchased a 94 crew cab 4x4 f350 srw with 7.3 idi factory turbo for 2700
When I first brought it home on the way back from Seattle to Portland it used a tank and half of diesel, 2 gallons of oil leaking and burning
It had a strong scent of diesel in the oil , so changed the oil and filter immediately and changed the oil cooler o-rings and gaskets wasn't that hard(changed it mostly to isolate the oil leaks), along with injectors, mechanical fuel pump, return lines and tees and valve cover gaskets, I also cleaned the cdr

Just today I took it for a spin mostly to get registration and on the way there was blue smoke and white smoke (probably glow plugs) and driving it around town it wouldn't stop smoking but when I got on the hwy and pushed her a little to clean her out the smoke went away from what I could see, and got the turbo to spool I got the usual black smoke and after that at 45-70 mph no smoke perfect running ran 10x better than my mother's 95 crew cab power stroke, but as soon as I get off the hwy and coming to a stop I hear a **** like a semi truck's air brakes and then the engine acts like a misfire or something like that along with blue smoke of course and it does this while idling after coming to a stop, after that happened I tried to head back home when it blew out the passenger side valve cover (which I just replaced), I limped her home and was deciding whether to hopefully repair or just rebuild her.

Now your probably wondering what was the history on the truck, well after looking through the previous owners paper work, I found a receipt to a whidbey island ford dealer and they did an oil change and they put 15 qts of oil and a power stroke oil filter, at 187000 miles ,and now at 227000 miles now when I changed the oil when I first got home it still had the dealers oil filter on it and it was very hard to get off (had to stab a screw driver in it to get it move), and the oil that came out was nastiest stuff on planet earth, my hands were stained for days

I will also add that when I take the oil cap off I do a single repeating **** of smoke

Any help is greatly appreciated
And suggestions on where to get rebuild kits?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before you even think of a rebuild kit, ya gotta find out why you have a Hi crankcase pressure. I mwould venture to say your CDR for some reason is defective, that's what relieves the CC presure, anymore that 3 PSI will cause seal leaks.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Are you sure it's the valve cover gasket?
Look lower near the head gasket also.

Do you hear any abnormal sounds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree on the cdr, that was my first thought when the valve cover gasket blew

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. these engines take 11 quarts of oil when you use the psd 1995 oil filter. The dealer may have charged for 15 qts but I don't think they used that many. So you have done some work on the engine. Were the injectors new or rebuilt. Whee did you buy from. Generally talking the injectors and the pump last around 125,000 miles. some get more but not many. Do not attempt to buy or remove the injection pump till you ask how. And never ever remove the injection pump, gear housing and the gear as one piece.

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I'm pretty sure it's coming from the valve cover because it's dripping on the exhaust manifold , and as I explained above when I would coast to a stop I would hear what would sound like a semi releasing his air brakes and then the truck would seem like it wanted to accelerate for a second or misfire , without my input

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Accelerating on it's own sounds like it was eating it's own oil, or sucking air into the fuel system.

About any abnormal noises, I mean now when it's running.

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On another receipt they came into the same dealer about a couple days later complaining about the transmission shifting bad and the dealer noted on the receipt the oil was high on the dipstick and on the transmission and they replaced the tps

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry 79jasper was answering another question but it makes a sound like 1 of three things fuel knock, rod knock, or broken mount , it makes a sound from 1200 to 2000 rpm not at idle or above 2000 rpm, it could be from air getting into the lines cause the truck does leak diesel while running but don't see any leaks from the injectors or tees

Last edited:

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Icanfixall I got the rebuilt injectors from dcpcart.com (diesel care and performance) and I haven't touched the injection pump other than tightened the fuel supply line from the fuel filter to the injection pump and I did find a receipt from Oregon fuel injection that the injection pump was replaced in 2001 at 150000 miles

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Icanfixall I got the rebuilt injectors from dcpcart.com (diesel care and performance) and I haven't touched the injection pump other than tightened the fuel supply line from the fuel filter to the injection pump and I did find a receipt from Oregon fuel injection that the injection pump was replaced in 2001 at 150000 miles

I've had some experience with dcp. Not Idi parts, but I wouldn't trust a ink pen from them.

Look up some of the reviews and how well their "rebuilt injectors" are.

To test if it's a injector knock, loosen one injector line at a time with it running.
It the sound goes away, most likely it's that injector.

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked on their site and found no reviews for the injectors, the truck did the same thing before I replaced the injectors, I think my next course of action would be a injection pump because there is oil coming from between the injection pump timing cover and injection pump, and it is also wet on the valley pan
Do you check the injectors at idle or at 2000 rpm because the truck doesn't (knock) at idle,,, it does at 1/4 throttle while moving

Last edited:

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no complaints about performance of the truck just the noise (knock) it gets up and goes A LOT better than my mom's obs power stroke probably due to my straight piped exhaust including the aftermarket/custom down pipe that I didn't know I had, and the noise shows up when I'm just puttin around(timing issue)?

Last edited:

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So ordered my cdr from ford parts giant 50 bucks and should be here in a week or so

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Please read the reviews about dcp in the Hall of Shame forum here. They got posted in that because of the care they did not give customers. From the reviews I have read about them I really don't think they know how to tell the truth. It seems once you buy from them your on your own for any kind of care. Same thing happens with several other ebay sellers. Please pm typ4 aka Russ. He lives in Oregon and sells the new Delphi BB code injectors. He is a member here in great standing too. His advice is worth listening too. So is Agnem aka Mel who owns Conestoga Diesel Injection of Pa. He is world famous for the Moose pumps and the Moose Misters injectors. Nobody builds a better DB2 injection pump than Mel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
E Moeller