Super low buck filtering

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
So since my van has been down and I sold my fuge set up, Ive been desiging my next system, in my head. Going to put a tank in the back of the van, and filter it with a small 12 volt pump. But I have been collecting a huge amount of waste hyd oil. I think I have about 100 gallons of good stuff - clear and golden like an amber ale.

What to do with it? Well, I was looking for paint filters on amazon a bit ago and came across these

http://www.amazon.com/Singed-Polyes...8&sr=8-1&keywords=duda+energy+1+micron+filter

I also picked up a 75 micron mesh filter for a 5 gallon pail.

http://www.amazon.com/Gallon-EZ-Str..._indust_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=09PRGTK8Y8JESPE0T52A

I grabbed some crap oil from work, ran it through the 72 micron filter then into the 1 micron bag filter.

I put about 3 gallons through it and it took about 15 minutes.

Attachments

• oil2.jpg
    oil2.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 42
  • oil3.jpg
    oil3.jpg
    658.2 KB · Views: 44

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Let me clarify here, my oil typically has no water.......so consider this at your own risk. Our hydraulic oil typically reaches 150-200 degrees for hours at a time when in use.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Nifty. how do you clean the fabric filter when you are done? Do you think after the 1 micron filter, it's ready for mixing/burning? Would waste motor oil function the same way?

I can't get over/past the "use a centrifuge!" advice everywhere. Expensive! I'd rather buy a used truck for the price of the system. Even the rare used systems i've seen come up are still pathetic in their price...

Wonder what method would be good to have a magnet catching any stray metal?

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
There is a way to clean them, but the filtering ability gets degraded.

http://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=+filter++bag&i=filterbags

I'm going to run it through the bag and burn it, since mine is already water free.

Once the tank is in the back of my van, and after the fuel is run through the bags, I will run it through a ten micron filter and then through a goldenrod filter/water separator then into the engine/or into the rear tank. (depends on the weather temps)
I plan to keep the front tank for diesel only.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice find, thats a perfect way for someone to get started with wmo, and not alot of bucks.
That hyd waste oil you have is perfect too, thin, fairly "clean".
How long have you been running this???? I'm curious if this stuff would work better in colder weather too????
Adding that to regular diesel wouldn't even change the fuel color...:D

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
I've been running who for about 2 years. It's doesn't like to be run 100 percent in colder temps below 40 things get rough
80 degrees out ? 100 percent who is fine

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm jealous of the clean waste hydro. My last job they ran ATF for all of their hydraulics and every now and then I could get 20-50 gallons if I had to change it. Only good part about that job, got a lot of oil.

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Still running the same filter, both tanks on the van are full, plus another 20 gallons.

Van starts instantly on this oil - mostly used hyd oil, but sometimes I get some WMO in the mix.

Thinking about taking it on a trip this weekend to NE ohio.....so I am filtering some more fuel.

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
Great thread! I work as a mech for a garbage company and have no shortage of available WHO. We have a cycler with 5 micron and 1 micron filter heads complete with filter minders, also has a third canister for water separation. It's called the Filtration Station but I can't remember who manufactures the dang thing. I've outfitted most of our rigs with QD valves on the tank drain and made another QD hose to pump straight from the tank into my barrels before bringing them home. Kinda nice to have everything filtered, de-watered and ready to roll before it hits my storage barrels. Question for you....I've been running 50/50 blend year-round for two years without incident. Can I strengthen my WHO/#2 mix in summer? What blend are you running in warm weather? We may be switching oils and saying goodbye to the filter mosheen, in that case I'll be pirating your filtering technique. Or weaseling the filter dealy into my garage. If that happens I'll be a happy clamper.

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
Nevermind the summer mix question. What about winter? Does 50/50 work in temps below 40 deg Fahrenheit on your rig? My rear tank leaks so I don't have a way to switch to straight diesel (or close enough) for winter starting and shutoff. I hope to have my rear tank swapped by winter but if I can't get around to it, I'd like to know how yours starts below 40 on any diesel/oil blend.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run the same oil in the winter, have to start it on a splash of gasoline, or a shot of either, but I run the same percentages year round in my IDI, The only problem I have is getting the lift pump to push it through the filter in 15 to 20 degree temps. there are a couple times I had to pull start it cause even with either it wouldn't fire up, but thats when I for got to plug it in.