Brought a new one home...

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Had this guy about two weeks, already had to replace the FICM power supply and order the oil cooler and EGR cooler as I've got 20 degree deltas... :eek: Thankfully the HG's are intact as the EGR valve is bone dry and I have no degas bottle puking issues.

It's a 2004 F250 CC-SB (crew cab, short bed) 3.73 LS gears, Torqshift trans. My favorite body style of the super duties. Came with a brand new slider 15 k fifth wheel hitch already installed.

The 6.0 is not for the faint of heart, but MAN is it a nice truck... :D I'm seeing 19 MPG average so far and it rides like butter. Power for days and a very refined improvement. Paid a good price to justify what I knew would be an investment in making a reliable truck.

You must be registered for see images attach

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Congrats. The 6.0 is a beast, though it does have flaws...good job on getting them fixed! I would do a coolant flush before the new cooler, then drive a couple hundred miles minimum. It will clog up the old oil cooler so the new one doesn't get clogged. Also get a coolant filter.

Our Ex does slightly better than 19mpg at 75-80mph. Can't beat that!

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Thanks!

Actually started the coolant flush yesterday. Drained out 5-ish gallons of Motorcrap Gold Goo and replaced with distilled water. Going to do the flush-n-drain-n-drive for 4-5 days then do the cooler. Also added the Sinister coolant kit over the weekend so I am filtering during my flush-n-drain.

Bottom line is I paid a good $10,000 less than a comparable Dodge/GM diesel of this vintage, so I figure doing the necessary mods makes sense.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice looking truck. I have an 03 6.0 Excursion, and absolutely love it. It is 99.9% stock. I have done a FUMOTO valve, EGR Delete and the latest upgrade is switch to Chevron Delo Full Synthetic 5W-40 oil. That really helped up here in the cold North (Especially with the really cold winter we are having this year, it was 8 when the truck was started this morning.) Any stiction I was having on cold start is gone. By far the EGR delete was the best thing I have done for the engine. It has removed so much unnecessary heat from the engine it is unbelievable. You will love the 6.0. I have had an IDI era F-Series, and there is no comparison between the two. They both have their strengths, and weaknesses. I like the Superduties, and the 6.0. Biggest thing is stay up with the maintenance. Oil every 5000 miles, Fuel Filters every 10,000 miles. Synthetic or not, every 5000 miles!!!!! The injectors shear the oil so much, no matter wither it is conventional or synthetic it shortens the life of the oil. The 6.0 injectors are picky about oil and fuel quality. I would recommend only using pump diesel, and no WMO/WVO. I have read elsewhere there are people doing it successfully, injectors are expensive ($200+ each) so one bad batch will eat up any savings you made. I have only run pump diesel, and normally from the same station, which has kept me good on the injectors. (All factory @ ~ 128,000). Take care of it,and it will take care of you. The 6.0 is not as bad as you hear. I've had mine for about 6.5 years, and the only cost besides routine maintenance was the EGR delete, which I did because the blue supply line was leaking on engine cool-down. (It was not leaking into the intake, it was leaking in the valley and onto the ground). The EGR was going to have to be removed to replace the line, so I just decided if it had to come off, it would stay off. (Indiana has no emission testing). I also had to replace the waterpump, and did a flush and fill while I was being serviced. In the 60-ish thousand miles and 6.5 years I've owned the truck, it has taken a set of brakes, 2 sets of batteries (The 6.0 is ******* batteries) and a set of shocks. (Hit a spring moon crater on one of Indy's fine downtown streets and busted a shock). It currently need front sway bar links (clunk when I hit a bump) and the overhead console (MPG, Compass and distance to empty) doesn't light up all the time. Everything else still works, including the power/heated seats. The superduties are a nice run of trucks, and the 6.0 have more than enough power in stock form to do anything that I have asked it. I have a programmer, and tried the middle power level (75hp I think) and it was way to much. I was at a stop sign, floored it, a black plume exploded from the exhaust, and all the stuff on and in the dash jumped off on the floor. I removed the program and the programmer and have not looked back. I still have the programmer for pulling codes, but do not run any program. Any questions, please ask, I think I am one of longer owners of a 6.0. Plan on owning it for a long time to come, especially since they don't make the Ex anymore.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I can say the one thing I should have done was buy the Insight CS ahead of time, and take it to the dealer with me. I could have at least hammered the guy a bit more on the price, I still would have bought the truck.

I think the big intimidation on the thing was the computer control, but in all honesty the fact that so many operating parameters are available to you at a glance makes troubleshooting more interactive than working on the IDI.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Any 6.0 owner has to deal with the dreaded high delta's sooner or later. Its probably better that you get your truck done in the first few weeks/months of owning it, rather than constantly having to do things to it over and over. That would probably get annoying.

I would have gone with a stock oil cooler as well, but just lucked into a used BPD setup. And I like the way it drives stock, but love the way it drives tuned LOL. My wife drove my parents 6.4 and was like...this thing is gutless! Their warranty is up, I keep telling them they need to delete and tune.

Anyways, since yours is an 04 it wont throw a CEL because of the deleted EGR, so no worries there ;Sweet

mhat0311b

Reaction score
What are you guys referring to when you say high delta's?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Temperature differential between coolant and oil temps. It tells you when your oil cooler is clogged...which leads to many problems.

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love 6.0s but everybod hates them at work. It all depends on how you keep them up. If you havent done it all ready do the blue spring mod to it and keep the injectors happy...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online